Question Can overclocking damage my GPU?

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
Hello. Is it possible to permanently damage a graphics card by overclocking it by using official applications designed for overclocking such as "Aorus Engine"? Is it alright to set GPU voltage to a slightly higher value like +10 for better stability?

No*. Everything you set in these tools are merely suggestions to the video card in how to perform. The firmware in the video card ultimately dictates whether or not it'll honor your requests.

*The caveat is if you say grossly exceed the temperature limit of some component or your PCIe cables can't handle the power that the card is fine drawing. But for the most part, you can't hurt the card.

Reactions: TYPICALHUMAN

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
No*. Everything you set in these tools are merely suggestions to the video card in how to perform. The firmware in the video card ultimately dictates whether or not it'll honor your requests.

*The caveat is if you say grossly exceed the temperature limit of some component or your PCIe cables can't handle the power that the card is fine drawing. But for the most part, you can't hurt the card.
Regarding your remark, could you elaborate on that? As far as I understand, there is a little risk to hurt the card. If it happened, could manufacturer not honor the warranty? How to prove that OC is the culprit in the damage?

TYPICALHUMAN

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2016
Most cards come factory overclocked already not leaving much left and very little to gain going further.

Look at like this if we're getting 100 FPS and could overclock 5% higher grats now you get 105 FPS.
I know that. Basically difference in performance amongst various GPU versions are around 5% or less. I just OC'd my card a bit and gained another 3%, will try to push harder and my another question is , what's the maximum OC potential I can reach and what limits OC capabilities? Even If I had very superior cooling I don't think I could OC to the point I would be on par with performance of more expensive GPUs.

I know that. Basically difference in performance amongst various GPU versions are around 5% or less. I just OC'd my card a bit and gained another 3%, will try to push harder and my another question is , what's the maximum OC potential I can reach and what limits OC capabilities? Even If I had very superior cooling I don't think I could OC to the point I would be on par with performance of more expensive GPUs.

every overclock is a lottry but will never try and push overclock because your going to make computer work harder. You will notice when you pushed it to fair crashes or freeses or have Artifacts on screen. What is your GPU anyway?

Reactions: TYPICALHUMAN