Can overclocking my CPU destroy GPU?

Dec 18, 2018
hi good day, i just wanna ask if overclocking a cpu can destroy a gpu?

coz my gpu starts showing some signs that its dying.

pc specs: CPU: AMD athlon ii x2 240 from stock 2.8 ghz i overclock it to 3.5 ghz

MOBO: Alive nf6g-vsta,

BIOS: beta bios version 2.26

GPU: Geforce 210 1gb lp

im just wondering cause when i overclock it i set the oc options to CPU TO PCIE ASYNC. the stock clock speed is 200mhz and pcie frequency is 100mhz. so when i overclock it i raise the clock speed to 250mhz and pcie freq. to 125mhz. with x14 multiplier.

Dec 18, 2018

well, i guess that really is the problem. its a how should i say this.. uhmm its a chinese kinda brand? i think?.. here's what written: CORE ELITE model ATX-650w

Dec 18, 2018

those shaking screen display, color changer, random lines signs, and more often my gpu wont even work.

yeah kinda thinking of getting a new gpu, but i think i should change my psu first.

Dec 18, 2018

well sometimes when i turn my pc on the with the monitor connected to the video card, there is no display at all. so i connect the monitor to the motherboard and its working. but after a long time of usage ( with the onboard graphics) i restart the pc and connect again to my video card, and then the video card will suddenly work. up until now i still use that kind of style so that i can use my video card (p.s. the video card have more chances to work when the heat sink is VERY HOT )

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That's a frighteningly poor quality power supply. I wouldn't personally ever use such a thing and I wouldn't have done any overclocking on a PSU like this in a million years. It's a bit like someone with a heart problem deciding to run a marathon.

That's yet another problem with the garbage-tier of power supplies; even if you get once running and it doesn't blow up your system over time, the first time anything seriously goes wrong, it becomes impossible to really diagnose a PC without first replacing it with a proper power supply.

Dec 18, 2018

so it really is my psu then, thats sad i just bought it brand new. could it really be the psu and not the video card? coz im planning to try the video card on my friend pc if to know if the problem still insist.

Dec 18, 2018

hi, i just wan to update that i try using another power supply and yet the problem still persist. try using the video card in another pc and it works just fine. ( new psu is corsair cx series 500 watt 80+ bronze )

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That mobo is going to be a limiting factor in your OC, it's not really built for much. It's basically the bottom of the barrel as far as ability goes, absolutely no heatsinks and minimal on the Southbridge. Be careful of board temps, with the age of that mobo and it's caps, and no heatsinks, it'll fry on no time flat if pushed.

Dec 18, 2018

actually i stop doing that after reading those replies here, so my bios settings are all on its factory settings.