Question Can overheat damage be fixed?

Aug 1, 2021
My stupid a** fell asleep with my laptop in bed while watching tv shows.
Problem is, it's a gaming laptop with a 1060 and an i7 7700hq so i have both integrated and high power gpu's. Normally I would turn my 1060 off while using the laptop in bed so it wouldn't overheat and one night I forgot to...
I woke up to the laptop dead (it's set no never go to sleep by itself while plugged in) ,refusing to boot. After a few restarts, it booted like nothing happened. But when I tried to play, crash with artifacts, stuck sound and black screen. I need to force turn off or it would remain like that.
I tried everything from clean os/drivers, tested everything else like ssd, ram... everything fine. Now i'm stuck using the integrated gpu and I,m wondering, since it sometimes takes up to 30 mins for the gpu to crash, and it's clearly because it overheated, is it in any way fixable?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most immediately would be to assess if this model is something you can take apart, and whether you have the skill to then take it down to a level where you could clean the heat exchange/coolers, repaste, possibly add thermal pads, clean fans, and get it all back together in the hope that it will fix your issue.

You could take it to a shop and see if there is anything to be done.

In theory (alone) the components should have throttled or even crashed in order to protect themselves in the case of a heat only related issue. Other components within the unit may or may not be capable of such safety measure.

Aug 1, 2021
Most immediately would be to assess if this model is something you can take apart, and whether you have the skill to then take it down to a level where you could clean the heat exchange/coolers, repaste, possibly add thermal pads, clean fans, and get it all back together in the hope that it will fix your issue.

You could take it to a shop and see if there is anything to be done.

In theory (alone) the components should have throttled or even crashed in order to protect themselves in the case of a heat only related issue. Other components within the unit may or may not be capable of such safety measure.
Sorry, forgot to mention that I did that too.
I cleaned it all and reapplied paste.
And yes, in theory it would have throttled down but when there is little to no way for the fans to reduce the temperature.. "poof". I believe it struggled alot before the system crashed and in all that time the damage was done.
I also think that the crash itself might have corrupted the vbios but I can't find any update of the sort and don't wanna brick it completely. I tried using gpu-z to save and modify it but i get the error "Bios reading not supported on this device".
Also, there are 0 settings about gpu in the actual laptop bios.