Question Can PC case cause table to vibrate?

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
Hi, I just got new wooden table to get my case up from the floor for less dust and started hearing vibrations which almost disappear when I lean table to another one with monitor and even when I lift it a little. There are no HDDs, case is Corsair 5000D with 4 case fans and 2 CPU ones which spin all of the time.
Table itself can lean a bit from side to side if you move it but is stable in general. Heard no vibrations when PC was on the floor, so may the table be the cause?

Ralston18

Titan
The fans are the likely culprit.

Resonating in some manner and the resulting vibrations go into the table's structure. It can move and vibrate in response to the fans.

The floor - hopefully not.

As for the table - was the table something you assembled yourself or had assembled?

If so, check the screws, bolts, nuts, etc. to ensure that they are all snug and tight. Do not over tighten.

One option is to use a few small rubber washers to help dampen out table vibrations.

May take a bit of trial and error to get it all right.

Reactions: kurdtnz and KyaraM

Spacekeleton

Commendable
Jan 30, 2022
The fans are the likely culprit.

Resonating in some manner and the resulting vibrations go into the table's structure. It can move and vibrate in response to the fans.

The floor - hopefully not.

As for the table - was the table something you assembled yourself or had assembled?

If so, check the screws, bolts, nuts, etc. to ensure that they are all snug and tight. Do not over tighten.

One option is to use a few small rubber washers to help dampen out table vibrations.

May take a bit of trial and error to get it all right.

It was assembled under my watch, case has those rubber on it's legs already and table ones are adjustable.

Ralston18

Titan
I do not expect much from those rubber/plastic feet on the cases. Some harden with time anyway.

Likewise for the table legs - they may be adjustable for leveling purposes and not all that effective for dampening vibrations.

Put a couple of old mouse pads between case feet and table.

Check that the case fans are all fully and firmly in place. May help reduce some of the vibrations if a fan or two is loose.

If there is room on the table try adding some books one at a time to determine if the extra weight will dampen out the vibrations.

All in all, just experiment as necessary to reduce or stop the vibrations.

Reactions: KyaraM
Apr 23, 2022
Hi, I just got new wooden table to get my case up from the floor for less dust and started hearing vibrations which almost disappear when I lean table to another one with monitor and even when I lift it a little. There are no HDDs, case is Corsair 5000D with 4 case fans and 2 CPU ones which spin all of the time.
Table itself can lean a bit from side to side if you move it but is stable in general. Heard no vibrations when PC was on the floor, so may the table be the cause?

I recently build a new PC making use of the Corsair 5000D with tempered glass. I swapped and old 2070 for a new 3070 gfx card and eversince a slow resonating humming has started. At this moment of writing, my PC is humming next to me with all panels open for an investigation. My PC is containing almost all new gear: 4 BeQuiet fans, 2 Corsair (ootb) fans, a Noctua (CPU) fan and the recently added 3070 with it's brand new fans. Furthermore two SSD's, one M2 SSD and two oldskool Seagate HDD's in the designated metal cage at the floor of the case. All ten fans are spinning quietly, if at all. The PC is powered by a Corsair RM750 PSU.
During the investigation I quickly found that the real humming sound is coming from the case floor, because when pressing it gently down, I am able to supress the humming sounds. I also rebooted my PC with the HDD's unpowered, to see wether their spinning could be the culprit. With them silenced however, still the hum was there. With all but the CPU fan stopped, it seems the PSU has the most effect on the case floor resonating. This PSU stopped just now too (due to idle PC) and all was loveley silent.

My conclusion:
In my case (sic), the humming got triggered by adding the new 3070 card (more weight, extra fan) to the system. Obviously the humming is triggered by spinning internals (ie fans, HDD's), however, I feel this is a design or a construction flaw. The 5000D is pitched as a premium case (with dito price) and should therefore serve the purpose of supporting the decent stuff we put in. Especially a matching Corsair PSU which seems to be the prime trigger.

Next up I will try and reinstall the PSU with some muting hacks (rubber gromets or so). If all else fails, I guess that putting something like a rubber ball underneath the middle of the case floor, could also mute the humming.

Reactions: KyaraM