Question Can pc freeze from my ram or from something else ?

Jun 7, 2019
Hello there.Can anyone help me out ?

So... my pc started reacting strangely a few weeks ago .
-Pc freezing (cursor frozen, caps light won't light up,somethimes repeating the current sounds like buzzing)
-Pc semi-freezing (cursor keeps moving but pc won't respond to any command unless i spamm the hell out of ctrl+alt+delete)
-Blue screens

I tried running memtest64 but my pc will freeze in an instance.
in case i install something or download something it freezes almost instantly

Here are my parts:
-CPU :Amd FX-8350 4.0ghz octa-core
-GPU: Radeon RX 480 GDDR5 256-bit
-Mother Board: Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0
-Ram: 8Gb ddr3 1600 Mhz from Adata model: premier
-HDD: Thoshiba 1TB 7200 rpm Sata-III
-PSU:Thermaltake TR2 S 650 Watt

First time i thought it was the HDD wrong here but running the memtest and pc is freezing in instance .... idk ...

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Where does the buzzing sound come from? Speakers/headset or inside the case? The buzzing and the freeze (depending where exactly it originates) can mean a PSU problem.

Although PC freezing during installation and "instantly" when memtest runs is probably faulty RAM.

Is that one single 8GB module or two 4GB ones? If one 8GB you might have to test that RAM module in another system or find other RAM to test on your motherboard.

If two take them out, and try them one at a time in the slot the manual specifies for single module operation which for your motherboard I think is A2 (2nd from CPU). Check if system works with either one and that you can run memtest.

Jun 7, 2019
buzzing comes from my headphone like if in the moment it frezes it reapeats the curent sound like if it say love and frezes at e it will repeat eeeeeeeeeee like a buzzing and will sound really loud and i have only one 8 gb ram stick, in case pc freezes needs to be restarted cuz i found no way to unfreeze it

GPU is at 75 and Cpu 70 for a higher graphics game normal for AMD

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Well, according to your OS version, you can change settings to get minidumps when BSODs happen.

Upload the minidump files somewhere like google drive or Dropbox and post a link here. Myself or others can run the dump and might be able to pinpoint the issue and whether it's a RAM problem or not.

As I said before, as freezes happen during installation processes and running memtest, it would seem that you have a faulty RAM module.

You can also try reseating the RAM. That is taking it out of the slot and putting it back in while the machine is shut down and PSU unplugged from mains. In the meantime it won't hurt if you can clean the slot of any possible dust with compressed air.

If available and you can get your hands on another DDR3 module, test the system with it. If freezes stop you can make sure if it is indeed a faulty RAM or not.

Jun 7, 2019
you know first i was wondering about something

My pc is identical with my brothers , and both pc are doing the same thing .What are the chances for both to develop a problem at the RAM could something be wrong in the build ? were the both pcs built wrong or something ?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The PSU you listed is not a good one I think. It might be a PSU not able to provide the CPU and GPU under load or failing. Yes, a 650W unit would be enough for that setup, actually more than enough, but if it's a good quality one and it's doing what it's supposed to. How old are the systems and PSUs?

I'd suggest you get HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo and check the SMART health status of the HDD.

Is that "8Gb ddr3 1600 Mhz from Adata model: premier" one module or 2x4GB? In which slot is the RAM installed?

Odd for two systems RAMs to go bad at the same time are quite small I'd say.

If the same PCs are in the same house maybe there's something wrong with the electrical wiring? Not very likely but if both were built at the same time, might be bad luck and you both got RAM from a batch that's not playing nice with your motherboard/CPU?

Jun 7, 2019
I have only one 8gb stick i believe it's instaled in the second slot .

Both PCs are 2 years old wich could make the problems hapen.Mine started freezing faster my brothers a bit later.

Thanks a lot for your help i will try out your suggestions.