Can power phases protect your cpu from a faulty psu?

wesambukhari

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Hey guys i was wondering if power phases on a motherboard could potentially protect your cpu from a faulty power supply

Solution
No. What power phases are is the amount of power used by the cpu etc. At idle, power phases are reduced so that you don't have the mobo and/or any components being flooded with max power. Basically it's an eco setting. Conversely, mobo's with lower power phases tend not to be reliable for OC since there's not much to draw from when needed, so things like voltage ripple get very choppy.

All in all, nothing to do with a psu.

Psus are standalone units, unless you have an addressable psu like the Corsair 'i' series, there's absolutely nothing you can do to or change in a psu. Other than turn it on or off.

Some motherboards, Asus in particular, have a built in surge suppressor, and that works to some degree, but of the psu is faulty...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. What power phases are is the amount of power used by the cpu etc. At idle, power phases are reduced so that you don't have the mobo and/or any components being flooded with max power. Basically it's an eco setting. Conversely, mobo's with lower power phases tend not to be reliable for OC since there's not much to draw from when needed, so things like voltage ripple get very choppy.

All in all, nothing to do with a psu.

Psus are standalone units, unless you have an addressable psu like the Corsair 'i' series, there's absolutely nothing you can do to or change in a psu. Other than turn it on or off.

Some motherboards, Asus in particular, have a built in surge suppressor, and that works to some degree, but of the psu is faulty there's only one sure fire cure. Replace the psu.

Solution