Question Can psu limit gpu?

Apr 30, 2023
So I just finished building my pc and while playing video games my gpu utilization goes to 80-90% but as soon as it hits those high numbers it dips to 40-60% utilization. I’ve already ran benchmark tests on both cpu and gpu both work fine it’s just when they are both being used at the same time. I did cheap out on a stegostep psu 850w which I think might be causing this problem but not sure can anybody please help?

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
The PSU is something you should never cheap out on, its quality can make the difference between a safe shut down when something goes wrong and a fried part or 2 on your PC.
Now on the topic at hand, the short answer is yes but as the guy above said, we need to know more to see if it applies on your case.

Reactions: Kaden0724
Apr 30, 2023
Msi b550 mag tomahawk
Rx 6800 msi gaming z trio
Ryzen 7 5800x
Stegotep 850w psu
DDR4 T-Force 3200mhz 16GB ram
Noctua D15s cpu cooler
Hope this help and thank you for replying

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Then its not the PSU to create a limit. The most important thing in this case is the fps you get in games. Is the drop in utilization related to low fps in games? If the game has a fps cap or vsync on, then the system will work only as hard as it needs to, to get that amount of fps and the rest will stay idle. For example, Elden Ring has a limit of 60fps so if your CPU and GPU can get 60fps while working at 50% that's what you'll see in utilization. Even if there is no fps limit, some games do not fully use the system. So if it doesn't cause performance problems i wouldn't worry about it.

Apr 30, 2023
It’s causing stuttering at major fps drops from 300 fps to 80fps and it’s in both games I test valorant and fortnite both have vsync off.

The only way I'm thinking that a PSU could "limit" any piece of hardware is there's poor to unstable power delivery and the video card can somehow compensate for this (which... I'm not sure how).

Otherwise the video card's going to suck up as much power as it wants, power supply be damned.