can resolution or monitor bottleneck pc?

Feb 18, 2018
can resolution or monitor bottleneck PC?

I have an i7 8700k and gtx 980 ti, but I am using an old 32 inch TV at 1920x1080. Does that impact fps?
And one more question, I have AA set to the highest on gta 5 and I can still see a ton of jagged edges, is that because of gta or my tv? thank you

Solution
Yes resolution can be a bottleneck. If the resolution is to low than the Video card (GPU) will become under utilized because it can only push so many frames based on bandwidth and getting data from the CPU. Go to high, either the CPU or GPU is OVER utilized causing a drop in a steady frame rate as one is starved for data.

But using a TV monitor as computer screen is only going to give you a so-so image. You could upscale it to 4k and than run it at 1080P with NVIDIA DSR.

corndog1836

Distinguished
it's the TV. Even if you have a 1080p 32inch monitor , you would still see jaggies....24inch 1080p is the sweet spot in terms of pixel density for smoothness. 32in would be 1440p sweet spot or maximum screen size. I prefer 27in 1440p. SMOOTH AS BUTTER

iamacow

Admirable
Yes resolution can be a bottleneck. If the resolution is to low than the Video card (GPU) will become under utilized because it can only push so many frames based on bandwidth and getting data from the CPU. Go to high, either the CPU or GPU is OVER utilized causing a drop in a steady frame rate as one is starved for data.

But using a TV monitor as computer screen is only going to give you a so-so image. You could upscale it to 4k and than run it at 1080P with NVIDIA DSR.

Solution