Can RGB Case Fans Be Turned Off?

Ro-Tang Clan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
I know traditional LED case fans cannot be turned off. But now with the birth of RGB fans from the likes of Thermaltake, NZXT and Corsair, these fans can be controlled to do various different lighting modes via software. However I've not seen any information to see whether the software allows the lights to be turned off completely.

In theory it's possible since I'm sure a few of the software packages allow the lights to strobe or pulsate meaning the lights are able to turn off in the intervals in between. But can they permanently be turned off?

Solution
The RGB fans from Corsair (for instance) use a separate line from the fan, you get a 3pin fan lead and a 4pin led lead. They come with individual controllers (explains the price) or can be run through a separately purchased RGB hub which controls multiple led (not the fans). On the controller is settings for color, affects, on/off etc.

As for older led fans, that depends on the fan itself. My old CoolerMaster case has a factory led fan that's switchable on/off, separate from the fan motion itself.

Ro-Tang Clan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Well I've currently got an NZXT Hue+ but unfortunately it's intermittently faulty and the LED strips change colours by themselves or one half of the strip is the colour I want and the other half is either off or shows random colours. I've ordered a brand new set of Hue+ LED strips too and they still display the same fault, so it's the control box.

So I was going to buy a new Hue+, but if the new RGB fans give the same functionality then I don't need to. I'm doing a whole new overhaul on my build anyway in which I'm changing radiators from a single 420 radiator to two 360 radiators so I'll need to buy new fans anyway.

As to why I need the ability to turn them off - There are times where I don't want them on such as if I leave my machine on overnight or I'm watching a movie. The NZXT Hue+ allows me to turn the lights off for a complete blackout experience to not distract you from the screen when watching a movie. If I'm just casually web browsing, watching YouTube or playing a game, then the RGB lights give off a nice glow and add a bit of mood lighting. Plus it makes the build pop too.

Many thanks for answering my question! Although, do you know if all software packages from all NZXT, Thermaltake and Corsair have the ability to turn the fans off?

FelixVincent

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014

yeah the software will let you adjust how much/if at all they spin

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The RGB fans from Corsair (for instance) use a separate line from the fan, you get a 3pin fan lead and a 4pin led lead. They come with individual controllers (explains the price) or can be run through a separately purchased RGB hub which controls multiple led (not the fans). On the controller is settings for color, affects, on/off etc.

As for older led fans, that depends on the fan itself. My old CoolerMaster case has a factory led fan that's switchable on/off, separate from the fan motion itself.

Solution