[SOLVED] Can scammer fake monitor resolution?

Quang_2

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
I just bought a 170$ 2k 27" 75 Hz Gsync Monitor named Atas (I'm sure that no one heard this brand before). Although my PC said it's a 2k monitor, also my games and some testing apps show that I actually have a 2k monitor I still doubt it.

I read on the internet that scammer can do some trick on the chip that makes the computer show the wrong info. For example, I watch a video on youtube about a fake 20$ GTX 1050Ti card, which even CPU - Z still shows that it's 1050Ti, the scammer did some trick on the chipset. Only when you take the card out and check it physically in real life you can found out that it's a scam.

I wonder can they do the same with a monitor? If so how do I test it?

Solution
Not that I am aware. Would be pretty obvious by changing the resolution and observing the effect to the end user.

Vietnamese websites is what comes up when I search for 27" ATAS monitors.

Two important things, what GPU are you using to drive it, and what cable are you using? Older HDMI will be limited to 60hz 1080p, HDMI 1.3 and up should be able to handle 75hz 1440p. All but the oldest display port also, which isn't likely on a monitor that is fairly new.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not that I am aware. Would be pretty obvious by changing the resolution and observing the effect to the end user.

Vietnamese websites is what comes up when I search for 27" ATAS monitors.

Two important things, what GPU are you using to drive it, and what cable are you using? Older HDMI will be limited to 60hz 1080p, HDMI 1.3 and up should be able to handle 75hz 1440p. All but the oldest display port also, which isn't likely on a monitor that is fairly new.

Solution