[SOLVED] Can someone explain this 'problem' ?

Hi, so i've been experiencing this wierd 'issue' for a long time.
Bassically im talking about random boot times.
For example, today my pc booted to Windows in a matter of 10 seconds, without any problem or anything.
Last week it took it 40 seconds to even get to the password screen...
I've noticed this happens mainly when im changing something in my pc. (or when something is happening with my pc, like updating windows or something of that matter.)
Like yesterday for example.
My rear exhaust cooler died and while it was still alive, my pc would boot in like 20-30 seconds for 2-3 days, sometimes it would boot in 10 seconds.
Yesterday when i took it out and threw it away, my pc would boot in 10 seconds. (since its passing, i've booted my pc about 3 times, all 3 of them would very short, like 10 seconds. )
I am booting off off a Toshiba P300 1TB HDD.
I have a rather weak system, a ivy bridge platform (i3 3240), so its not like im booting a Threadripper with 3090's SLI-ed.
It is not a problem to me since im kinda patient, but im just wondering why is it random?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
I am just going by your account, it stopped when you removed fan.

Parts take time to stop, they can go violently but often they slowly wear out. I had a pair of speakers that took 3 months to slowly go bad, at first it was causing windows to not load, then after a few months they stopped working in more obvious ways, but for a few months I thought cause was my GPU that I had only recently replaced.

So fan might have been dying for a few weeks and slowing boot down to point it stopped and you removed it and suddenly PC boots fast again

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your PSU and how old is it? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Speaking of motherboard, what is the make and model of motherboard? How many partitions do you have on your HDD?

What is the make and model of your PSU and how old is it? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Speaking of motherboard, what is the make and model of motherboard? How many partitions do you have on your HDD?
What is the make and model of your PSU and how old is it?
CHIEFTEC ELP 700-S 700W, i know it is not good, i will be replacing it when i buy a new gpu (currently running a R9 380 for 2 years with it without a problem).
"What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? "
The PC was a Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72 prebuilt, i swapped the case,psu,gpu, kept the i3 3240, 16gb of ram and Lenovo IH61M motherboard, and the HDD.
I do not know which EXACT motherboard BIOS version it is running on,but i suspect its the latest version since im running a 3rd gen cpu with it.
I cant update this BIOS (i've already tried), since it can only be done on Windows 7, im running Windows 10 Pro, so i would have to go back to Windows 7, have extreme luck updating BIOS since its a OEM motherboard, then reinstall Windows 10 and pray everything works.
"How many partitions do you have on your HDD? "
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/sL4OzHg

Colif

Win 11 Master
there is only 1 BIOS file for that, but you best check which you have before trying it - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-edge-desktops/thinkcentre-edge-72/3493/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS/UEFI

could have been fan dying that was stalling startup, as BIOs checks all hardware at boot and if it wasn't responding in time, its enough to stall boot. Especially since it stopped after.

I have to assume you running fast startup to get 10 second boot on a hdd.

Reactions: Dj0gany
there is only 1 BIOS file for that, but you best check which you have before trying it - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-edge-desktops/thinkcentre-edge-72/3493/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS/UEFI

could have been fan dying that was stalling startup, as BIOs checks all hardware at boot and if it wasn't responding in time, its enough to stall boot. Especially since it stopped after.

I have to assume you running fast startup to get 10 second boot on a hdd.
"there is only 1 BIOS file for that, but you best check which you have before trying it - https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre-edge-desktops/thinkcentre-edge-72/3493/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS/UEFI "
It only supports up to Windows 8.1
" Could have been fan dying that was stalling startup, as BIOs checks all hardware at boot and if it wasn't responding in time, its enough to stall boot. Especially since it stopped after. "
I bought it for 1,5$ on Aliexpress back in April,arrived around mid June.
What can you expect from a 1,5$ random Chinese fan.
Didnt even come with its on screws...

"I have to assume you running fast startup to get 10 second boot on a hdd. "
Yes, i am running Fast Startup.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It only supports up to Windows 8.1
It doesn't mean it won't work in 10, they just stopped supporting the device with newer drivers at that stage.
You can't use win 7 or 8 drivers but BIOS are different. they don't run in windows.

if PC back to normal, don't update bios.

stop buying cheap stuff. Lesson - more you spend on PC hardware, the more its likely to last longer. Buy cheap stuff, replace sooner. Pass. I learned that the hard way. I prefer to buy good stuff now, it might take longer to get but it last longer too (normally, you can always get bad parts).

It doesn't mean it won't work in 10, they just stopped supporting the device with newer drivers at that stage.
You can't use win 7 or 8 drivers but BIOS are different. they don't run in windows.

if PC back to normal, don't update bios.

stop buying cheap stuff. Lesson - more you spend on PC hardware, the more its likely to last longer. Buy cheap stuff, replace sooner. Pass. I learned that the hard way. I prefer to buy good stuff now, it might take longer to get but it last longer too (normally, you can always get bad parts).
Learned that the hard way too.
I'll be buying a pwm 80mm chieftec fan (not a chieftec fan boy, its just the only one that is in stock rn) for 8$ with warranty, hope it runs well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Price isn't always an indication of quality, you can get ripped off spending too much as well. I always aim higher than I actually end up using but it means my gear can easily cope with what I ask it to do. Hopefully. Can only try.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Parts take time to stop, they can go violently but often they slowly wear out. I had a pair of speakers that took 3 months to slowly go bad, at first it was causing windows to not load, then after a few months they stopped working in more obvious ways, but for a few months I thought cause was my GPU that I had only recently replaced.

So fan might have been dying for a few weeks and slowing boot down to point it stopped and you removed it and suddenly PC boots fast again

Reactions: Antler and Dj0gany
Solution

Could be,thabk you for your help