Question Can someone give me ideas to improve my system's performance ?

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello, I was wondering.. without changing my GPU is there anything I could do to make my system better? I'm done trying to find what's going on. It stutters like crazy, I've felt like I've done everything and I would like to know what I could do for my system before giving up. Thank you.

MB: ASUS TUF Z790 Plus WiFi
CPU: i9-13900k
GPU: 6950XT (Reference Card)
RAM: Corsair Dominators 5600mhz 64GBS
Storage: Samsung M2 Pro 990 2 TB
PSU: Thermaltake RGB 1200W
PSU CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is Windows freshly installed on this system?

Cpu temps with that cooler? Monitor with Hwinfo64 or Cpuz and check frequency along with temps. Also check all memory is accounted for and no significant portion in system reserve.

Which games are stuttering and try explain the kind of stutter like is it mini or lengthy pauses.

Have you tried disable efficiency cores in bios?

List the things you've tried to troubleshoot.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Is Windows freshly installed on this system?

Cpu temps with that cooler? Monitor with Hwinfo64 or Cpuz and check frequency along with temps. Also check all memory is accounted for and no significant portion in system reserve.

Which games are stuttering and try explain the kind of stutter like is it mini or lengthy pauses.

Have you tried disable efficiency cores in bios?

List the things you've tried to troubleshoot.
I've reinstalled Windows from scratch multiple times. Windows 10 and retrying everything on Windows 11.

CPU Temps are 60-65c (underload) once Hyperthreading is disabled. CPU is 22 to 30C while idle. Hyperthreading on causes temps to hit 75-95C Frequency stays 5.5 ghz at all times. Disabled E Cores and the system ran worse.

Memory is all accounted for only a very very small amount is portioned. Ran tests to check for memory issues and everything came back fine, no errors. System read 64 GBs running at intended speeds. 5600, OC to 6000 didn't help.

Every game is having stuttering issues / mini freezes. I throw a bomb in Vermintide 2 the whole system locks up for a good 3 seconds. A tank blows up in Battlefiled 2042 and my computer freezes. I shoot a gun for the first time and the game freezes for a second I just play little games like Don't Starve Together and I get stutters like on every other game, it's not once in a blue moon either its like 6 times every couple minutes it's so frequent.

I tried disabling Game Mode and Xbox Game Bar, Disabled Full Screen Optimizations. Changed my Power Settings to each one and didn't fix anything. I used DDU in Safe mode everytime I tried something new. I've used AMD Adrenalin on fresh install and manually did everything on other installations.
I made sure everything was up to date, removed all bloatware, undervolted my CPU and GPU, Overclocked everything, tried a mix of both. Followed guides online, tried 6 different drivers. Updated BIOS, cranked all fans to maximum, 20C system still stuttering.
Changed out my power strip, plugged directly into the wall. Upgraded my system 3 times now from i5-10600k to 11700k to 5800x3d to i9-13900k, switching out motherboards, RAM, M2s. 1080 ti, to rtx 3070 to 6950xt.

The games I play are Battlefield 2042, Total War Warhammer 3, Darktide, Vermintide 2, Warzone, Apex Legends, Dota 2. All stutter / freeze. The only game that runs well is Zombie Army 4 from the Sniper Elite franchise.

I recently thought i had a problem with my pc so i did the following.
Windows mem test ... this checks ram but if its faulty it wont tell you which stick.
FurMark for graphics card.
Memtest86 .... note on my pc the 4 passes took 2 hours. note you need a empty flash drive to put it on and you have to go into setting at boot up to make the pc boot from the flash drive.
The solution to my problem was to change the 7 year old cmos battery , it was showing the post code for pc sleeping , i think it was A4 , after changing the cmos it shows AA.

Reactions: Why_Me

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
I recently thought i had a problem with my pc so i did the following.
Windows mem test ... this checks ram but if its faulty it wont tell you which stick.
FurMark for graphics card.
Memtest86 .... note on my pc the 4 passes took 2 hours. note you need a empty flash drive to put it on and you have to go into setting at boot up to make the pc boot from the flash drive.
The solution to my problem was to change the 7 year old cmos battery , it was showing the post code for pc sleeping , i think it was A4 , after changing the cmos it shows AA.
I haven't tried that so I'll give it a shot.

I remember hearing a story once where someone changed out every component multiple times but still had the same issue with stuttering, so they took it to a repair man who couldn't find a problem. They took it home and had the same issue again, turns out the electricity supply to their house was the issue. I do have to wonder if this is similar, then again, are you using the same psu for all these different builds?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I remember hearing a story once where someone changed out every component multiple times but still had the same issue with stuttering, so they took it to a repair man who couldn't find a problem. They took it home and had the same issue again, turns out the electricity supply to their house was the issue. I do have to wonder if this is similar, then again, are you using the same psu for all these different builds?

That's what im wondering, more so psu though, but i guess couldn't rule out electricity in the house. Have seen similar over the years too but a rare one. Makes you wonder if there's any truth to that. Also wondering about case, is there enough air flow to cool vrms on the motherboard?

This is assuming OP is experiencing same thing across different builds. Does seem like it. See what he says.

Run userbench as SkyNet suggested.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
I live in a townhome that's about 5 years old. I was always wondering if it was something like that...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
A ups could help if that were the case but call an electrician to verify if there's something else wrong that would require it in the first place.

If over several builds same or similar thing happens then if it's not power related try think what remains the same. Even if it's peripheral or any software.

When i setup my pc i disable automatic device driver installation and disable uac. First things i do once Windows install finishes, no chance of drivers being updated without me knowing and nothing compromised by security not running as administrator. Could be something that might help you.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
A ups could help if that were the case but call an electrician to verify if there's something else wrong that would require it in the first place.

If over several builds same or similar thing happens then if it's not power related try think what remains the same. Even if it's peripheral or any software.

When i setup my pc i disable automatic device drive installation and disable uac. First things i do once Windows Install finishes, no chance of drivers being updated without me knowing and nothing compromised by security not running as administrator. Could be something that might help you.
The only thing I can think of is I've been using the same outlet for all systems and I've been using the same PSU as well. Other than that everythings been switched out, mixed and matched and everytime I tried to see how the next setup ran I did a clean install everytime, Windows, DDU and all.

Come to think of it....the power supply box was damaged when it came in but everything seemed fine. Maybe I should shake it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you do change power supplies remember to replace all modular cables. Good chance of blowing things up then. Pinouts aren't standardised so cables must be swapped out too.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
If you do change power supplies remember to replace all modular cables. Good chance of blowing things up then. Pinouts aren't standardised so cables must be swapped out too.
Yes sir, and I will try using it at my parents place. I'll go for your recommendation, but how many watts do you think I should go for, for this system? I can do some homework bit I thought I'd ask while I'm here lol.

CPU Temps are 60-65c (underload) once Hyperthreading is disabled. CPU is 22 to 30C while idle. Hyperthreading on causes temps to hit 75-95C Frequency stays 5.5 ghz at all times. Disabled E Cores and the system ran worse.
Whatever that setting is that you are changing it's not just turning hyperthreading on/off it's doing more than that, HTT alone will not add 30 degrees.
Also are you telling us that you are playing games only with the 8 p-cores without hyperthreading and with the e-cores disabled?

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Whatever that setting is that you are changing it's not just turning hyperthreading on/off it's doing more than that, HTT alone will not add 30 degrees.
Also are you telling us that you are playing games only with the 8 p-cores without hyperthreading and with the e-cores disabled?
No, I tried with E Cores disabled alone. Then another time I disabled Hyperthreading.
Disabling Hyperthreading lowered the temps on my 13900k a bunch. Which just reminded me that, that Userbenchmark I did was with Hyperthreading off but that's it.

I do want to say the time I did turn off the E cores, I did have Hyperthreading off too.

E Cores on, hyperthreading off.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes sir, and I will try using it at my parents place. I'll go for your recommendation, but how many watts do you think I should go for, for this system? I can do some homework bit I thought I'd ask while I'm here lol.

Same wattage as you have now. Corsair Hx1200i, can't go wrong with it. Tt psus im not so sure of. Being platinum should mean something right? Well it's either that or your electrical wiring. Will soon find out. Keep us updated.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
E Cores on, hyperthreading off.

Have you tried the other way around?

This didn't make much sense to me but forgot to answer that point. Efficiency cores, for less intensive tasks, aren't really useful for anything. New games and other titles patched to identify and prioritise should ignore efficiency for performance cores. There have been issues where efficiency cores were involved and it wasn't good. End result was part game part Windows as well. Majority of mainstream games should be updated now but disabling e cores should definitely not show negative results. Possibly compensating for lack of HT so to speak. Try HT on but no e cores.

Last edited:

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Same wattage as you have now. Corsair Hx1200i, can't go wrong with it. Tt psus im not so sure of. Being platinum should mean something right? Well it's either that or your electrical wiring. Will soon find out. Keep us updated.
Will do, going to swap out the PSU, try a different outlet at a different building, replace CMOS battery and even try another M2.

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Have you tried the other way around?

This didn't make much sense to me but forgot to answer that point. Efficiency cores, for less intensive tasks, aren't really useful for anything. New games and other titles patched to identify and prioritise should ignore efficiency for performance cores. There have been issues where efficiency cores were involved and it wasn't good. End result was part game part Windows as well. Majority of mainstream games should be updated now but e cores should definitely not show negative results. Possibly compensating for lack of HT so to speak. Try HT on but no e cores.
I will try that before and after I go to Microcenter and get some stuff.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Will do, going to swap out the PSU, try a different outlet at a different building, replace CMOS battery and even try another M2.

Mmyea i doubt it's cmos battery, too new, for that to be a issue. They last a very long time. But something not to totally dismiss i guess.

Need to ask though, you're not using pcie riser cable?

Raz_5_

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Mmyea i doubt it's cmos battery, too new, for that to be a issue. They last a very long time. But something not to totally dismiss i guess.

Need to ask though, you're not using pcie riser cable?
No sir. Straight into the top slot.

Reactions: boju