Question Can someone give me ideas to improve my system's performance ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
CR2032 CMOS batteries normally last between 3 and 5 years before they need changing. On a brand new motherboard they should be fine.

If you have a multimeter, a new CR2032 will be 3.25V out of the board. Anything less than 2.50V and I'd change it.

If your system is unstable, disable any XMP/EXPO/DOCP memory overclock and set the frequency back to the JEDEC defaults.

If you've got 4 DIMMs installed, they will be less stable at high XMP frequencies than 2 DIMMs. To improve stability, fit only two DIMMs.

Do not assume that just because your motherboard supports 6,000MHz OC and your RAM is rated at 6,000MHz, the computer will start up, let alone run smoothly at this speed. You may never reach the maximum speed rating of your RAM and retain stability.

If you're applying any overclocks on your CPU and GPU, disable them both. Take everything back to stock (lower speed). That means no PBO on an AMD chip.

As others have said, boot the PC from a MemTest86 USB key and test your RAM. You might have a faulty DIMM.

You shouldn't have to disable any cores in your CPU. All that does is to reduce power dissipation. With adequate cooling, the CPU should throttle normally on all cores, when it gets too hot (90/95C AMD, 100C Intel).

Hello, I was wondering.. without changing my GPU is there anything I could do to make my system better? I'm done trying to find what's going on. It stutters like crazy, I've felt like I've done everything and I would like to know what I could do for my system before giving up. Thank you.

MB: ASUS TUF Z790 Plus WiFi
CPU: i9-13900k
GPU: 6950XT (Reference Card)
RAM: Corsair Dominators 5600mhz 64GBS
Storage: Samsung M2 Pro 990 2 TB
PSU: Thermaltake RGB 1200W
PSU CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620
Some things to perhaps double check:
1) Do you have multiple monitors running at different refresh rates? I've found that causes stuttering in games.
2) Is your GPU running in the proper PCI-E x16 mode?
3) As others have suggested, test your memory. If you have 4 sticks you might want to try at default speed as well just in case XMP is causing a problem.

Raz_5_

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2017
You seem to have overclocked ram past its rated speed.
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections?
Sure, I only recently did that just to try and see if it would help.

Edit: Just to be safe, I'm going to disable XMP and set the speed back to default and run a Memtest 86.

Raz_5_

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2017
Some things to perhaps double check:
1) Do you have multiple monitors running at different refresh rates? I've found that causes stuttering in games.
2) Is your GPU running in the proper PCI-E x16 mode?
3) As others have suggested, test your memory. If you have 4 sticks you might want to try at default speed as well just in case XMP is causing a problem.
1. Only one monitor.
2. Yes.
3.Running Memtest86 right now and I'm running my RAM in dimms 2 and 4 in dual channel.

Raz_5_

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2017
Replaced everything but my CPU, Motherboard and GPU system still preforms the same.

It seems like after updating Windows or Downloading Discord causes my problems. I played 4 games last night and had no issues. Updated Windows right before bed and downloaded Discord. Lag everywhere.

Raz_5_

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2017
Did a clean install of Windows, ran my games on a new drive, installed a i5-13900k and the problem persists, just not as bad but still bad.