[SOLVED] Can someone help me figure out how to connect my modem/router to patch panel for Ethernet use?

Aug 14, 2019
Hi all,

I am hoping to activate all my Ethernet ports in my house. One in the master does not work, other downstairs in living is working and has router/modem hooked up to it. I was told I could move the router up to the patch panel in a closet upstairs and make a few connections. Can someone look at these pictures and guide me in the right direction? The main thing I’m confused about is there are already 3 Ethernet cables hooked into the black TM1045 patch panel why and where do these lines go if only 1 port is working? Do I remove these Ethernet cables and plug them into the ports into the router? Also, is the cable to the far left where my ISP is coming from, labeled “service in?” I notice on the bottom right of the utility box a yellow cord is plugged directly into a blue cord with a little black adapter. Is this the source of ISP? I believe I plug this into my modem? Which one is the source the yellow or blue cord? Sorry for the confusing questions, I’m really lost. Thank you,

https://images.craigslist.org/00b0b_7OQhoFpSuf7_600x450.jpg

https://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_i5RS3dibqEk_600x450.jpg

Update:
https://images.craigslist.org/00X0X_cv8mjdc47hN_600x450.jpg

In the picture above is a blue cord directly attached to yellow cord. Is one of them the source of data and the other going to my downstairs room where I have my router/modem?

https://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_fG6BJfU7sko_600x450.jpg

In the picture above, the 3 cords on the right are actually labeled dining, master, and loft, which I believe are the 3 Ethernet ports I have. However they do not have service. The one on the far left in the “service in” port is labeled NID. Any idea what this means? I’ve read that the TM1045 telephone panel is truly only for telephone use? Why would there be a cord plugged into “service in” marked NID?

So, should I be taking the cords marked master, loft, and dining and plug those directly into my router ports? Or do I make an extra connection and create 3 new lines from my router, plug them into the ports on the panel, and disregard the cords already plugged in there? Thank you!!

Last edited:
Solution
Your fourth picture, the word "telephone" can clearly be seen on the patch. That black unit with the cat5 connected is a phone patch panel.
If that is the ONLY ethernet cabling you have, you will have to sacrifice those phone ports (and maybe you don't even have a landline). You will have to change the wall plates (probably) to RJ45 rather than RJ11. You should also look REAL close to the terminations that are there. Make sure they follow 568B color code.
After you change the wall plates, you can then connect the cables you have to an ethernet switch (a powered device). Connect that switch to your router LAN port and you will have wired ethernet.
Is your place, only you know where those wires go, is impossible to figure out remotely without visual inspection and using some tools. Hopefully some other members chime in to give u a link what said tools look like. Ya, without knowing where the tails/heads of those cables, you are guessing. Another common things is, oftentimes is these things are wired for landline phones, not suitable for networking.

Aug 14, 2019
Is your place, only you know where those wires go, is impossible to figure out remotely without visual inspection and using some tools. Hopefully some other members chime in to give u a link what said tools look like. Ya, without knowing where the tails/heads of those cables, you are guessing. Another common things is, oftentimes is these things are wired for landline phones, not suitable for networking.

Hi sorry I forgot to add the photos, I also updated my questions reflecting the photos. Please any help is appreciated!

kanewolf

Titan
Your fourth picture, the word "telephone" can clearly be seen on the patch. That black unit with the cat5 connected is a phone patch panel.
If that is the ONLY ethernet cabling you have, you will have to sacrifice those phone ports (and maybe you don't even have a landline). You will have to change the wall plates (probably) to RJ45 rather than RJ11. You should also look REAL close to the terminations that are there. Make sure they follow 568B color code.
After you change the wall plates, you can then connect the cables you have to an ethernet switch (a powered device). Connect that switch to your router LAN port and you will have wired ethernet.

Solution
Aug 14, 2019

Man this seems more complicated that I thought it would be. The terminations are RJ45 I believe, or the size of the Ethernet terminations. Since those Ethernet cords into the telephone panel are not active, am I able to just plug those into the router? I’m assuming the other end of them goes to each room. What is the service line cord? And why is it in that port?

kanewolf

Titan
Man this seems more complicated that I thought it would be. Since those Ethernet cords into the telephone panel are not active, am I able to just plug those into the router? I’m assuming the other end of them goes to each room. What is the service line cord? And why is it in that port?
You MIGHT be able to plug them into the router. It will depend on the wall plates and the color coding of the wiring in the RJ45 connectors you have. If this is too complicated, then you may want to bring in some help from somebody with more ethernet installation experience. Giving you specific advice without being able to see what you see is hazard prone.

Aug 14, 2019
You MIGHT be able to plug them into the router. It will depend on the wall plates and the color coding of the wiring in the RJ45 connectors you have. If this is too complicated, then you may want to bring in some help from somebody with more ethernet installation experience. Giving you specific advice without being able to see what you see is hazard prone.

Am I able to try to plug and play today without worrying if I’m going to destroy anything? Aka.... can I test try it without damaging anything?

The OP's router usually has a built-in switch. So he is OK there. But what is on the other end? No idea....
I don't see a modem/router anywhere in those pictures so the connection to the patch panel might be run by a single line.
Agree that we don't know what is at the other end. Would need to have the jacks at the other end taken out and look at the wiring guide to know if it is setup for Ethernet.

Aug 14, 2019
The OP's router usually has a built-in switch. So he is OK there. But what is on the other end? No idea....

They are CAT5 Ethernet ports. I guess what I want to do is ISP line > router/modem combo > then plug in all those cords from the panel into the LAN ports on the router. Is this how it would work? I’m just confused about which line is my provider line from ISP.

Any idea why something is plugged into the “service line” on the panel?

Really appreciate it guys!

They are CAT5 Ethernet ports. I guess what I want to do is ISP line > router/modem combo > then plug in all those cords from the panel into the LAN ports on the router. Is this how it would work? I’m just confused about which line is my provider line from ISP.

Any idea why something is plugged into the “service line” on the panel?

Really appreciate it guys!
Correct on the patch panel lines to the LAN on the router/modem.
No idea why someone would plug into the service line, my guess is that is for diagnostics on the patch panel.

Aug 14, 2019
Can’t thank you guys (girls) enough. I haven’t brought the router up yet bc I wanted to get an idea first. It is downstairs in my living room. I have fiber optic internet. I was going to bring the router up tonight.

Would one of these cords be the source fiber optic from my ISP? I would plug this into the LAN in my router/modem correct?

Do I transfer all of these cords to the remaining ports in the router? I’m assuming right now in the panel these are “dead” and not active? Is there a reason why one is in “service in”?

Thanks

Can’t thank you guys (girls) enough. I haven’t brought the router up yet bc I wanted to get an idea first. It is downstairs in my living room. I have fiber optic internet. I was going to bring the router up tonight.

Would one of these cords be the source fiber optic from my ISP? I would plug this into the LAN in my router/modem correct?

Do I transfer all of these cords to the remaining ports in the router? I’m assuming right now in the panel these are “dead” and not active? Is there a reason why one is in “service in”?

Thanks
None of those are fiber optic, what you have there are Cat5/e and coax. Where do those yellow and blue line go to from the first picture?

Aug 14, 2019
None of those are fiber optic, what you have there are Cat5/e and coax. Where do those yellow and blue line go to from the first picture?

Is CAT5 the same as Ethernet? Or is it phone? The size of the ends look like Ethernet ports. They are labeled by the installer as loft, master, and dining. All of these rooms have CAT5 on the wall jack.

Which one of all of these wires is my “source” ISP that I plug into the LAN?

Is CAT5 the same as Ethernet? Or is it phone? The size of the ends look like Ethernet ports. They are labeled by the installer as loft, master, and dining. All of these rooms have CAT5 on the wall jack.

Which one of all of these wires is my “source” ISP that I plug into the LAN?
Cat5 is the same as Ethernet.
If you have fibre for your ISP none of those are the source from the ISP. A fibre cable will look something like this: https://www.fs.com/products/68294.html

Aug 14, 2019
Cat5 is the same as Ethernet.
If you have fibre for your ISP none of those are the source from the ISP. A fibre cable will look something like this: https://www.fs.com/products/68294.html

Is there a chance somewhere in a utility box outside the fiber optic cable got converted to an Ethernet cable to route into my panel inside my closet? I would think there would have to be some sort of source cable where this panel is?

Aug 14, 2019
Last edited: