[SOLVED] Can someone link tutorials to installing custom standoffs?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Hi team -

I wanna customise an old PC case to fit a modern motherboard

To do that, I would need to drill holes into the PC case for the standoffs

Ive looked online for tutorials to do that but couldnt find any

I want to do this the right way because obviously standoffs play an important part in preventing electric shock damage to the motherboard

any advice is appreciated also: like, is it even safe to do?

Solution
measurements will differ of course, i meant more like a general video how to drill holes for standoffs, i.e. what kind of tools would i need, what size and type of drill bits are used for this (im assuming rotary sizes, for example), what metal sheets should i buy to replace the stuff inside, what kinda approaches should i take into consideration when customising (for example, psu placement).

more just like a general video into a similar project, but yeah, not where should i drill holes specifically etc
Sheet metal is to thin to hold machine screws, all you get is maybe one thread. Holes should be punched with sharp punch which leaves some metal on other side and that can make double or more threads. If you drill holes you...

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
There is no 'tutorial' for YOUR old case and the motherboard you're working with.

DIY stuff like this is totally custom. No one can tell you to "drill here".
measurements will differ of course, i meant more like a general video how to drill holes for standoffs, i.e. what kind of tools would i need, what size and type of drill bits are used for this (im assuming rotary sizes, for example), what metal sheets should i buy to replace the stuff inside, what kinda approaches should i take into consideration when customising (for example, psu placement).

more just like a general video into a similar project, but yeah, not where should i drill holes specifically etc

Sheet metal is to thin to hold machine screws, all you get is maybe one thread. Holes should be punched with sharp punch which leaves some metal on other side and that can make double or more threads. If you drill holes you would need a nut on the back side.
Not all standoffs are same and holes and thread has to match those. You can use a chart like this https://upmold.com/tap-size-drilling-chart/ to determine what fits threads on your particular standoffs. There's also a question of standoff length. there's also variety of those.
As for grounding, all that's needed is one. the rest can be insulated.
In cases when MB is mounted on an insulator (wood or plastic) it's enough to connect a wire to one screw and case. Many of old time PCs had plastic standoffs and grounded with a wire.

Last edited:
Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The easiest way to do this as a first timer is to take the motherboard tray out of a current ATX case, and bolt it into the old case at the proper location.

Or

Take the front panel off the old case, and bolt it on to the front of a new case. After all, except for the front panel, they're pretty much the same.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine