can someone suggest me the cheapest processor that can handle GTX 1050 ti without any bottleneck.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 24, 2018
I will be using my PC just for gaming and a little bit of browsing & movies that is why i don't need a powerful processor like i5 8400 or ryzen 5 1600 . So i need a PC built which can maximize my GPU output without under or over killing it.

please if possible suggest the RAM and MoBo also .

PS : i would rather pay extra than OC a processor . like i would rather buy ryzen 3 1300X than buying ryzen 3 1200 and overclocking it .

Solution
An i3 with the a 1060/1070 , i have never heard of this . i think i3 will be a bottleneck for this setup

I think you confused on what a bottleneck really is. The bottleneck is simply the weakest link of a system. Every system, even the most high end rigs, has a bottleneck. Sometimes, the bottleneck can change between different hardware on the same system pending the application.

Look at gaming for example, the i3 8100 would push even a 1080ti in games that are not CPU heavy (even more so at higher resolution). Whereas in CPU heavy games such as BF1, the i3 will hold back even a 1060. So the bottleneck, or weakest link, will change depending on what game you are playing.

So saying "an i3 will bottleneck this setup" is...

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Thanks just edited, had a brain fart.

lol cool

An i3 with the a 1060/1070 , i have never heard of this . i think i3 will be a bottleneck for this setup

I think you confused on what a bottleneck really is. The bottleneck is simply the weakest link of a system. Every system, even the most high end rigs, has a bottleneck. Sometimes, the bottleneck can change between different hardware on the same system pending the application.

Look at gaming for example, the i3 8100 would push even a 1080ti in games that are not CPU heavy (even more so at higher resolution). Whereas in CPU heavy games such as BF1, the i3 will hold back even a 1060. So the bottleneck, or weakest link, will change depending on what game you are playing.

So saying "an i3 will bottleneck this setup" is both right and wrong. My advice is to decide which GPU you want, and then get the best CPU your budget will allow from there. In my opinion, you should build your system around the GPU.

GPUs tend to show their age much quicker than a CPU. For example, Sandy Bridge CPUs were released in 2011 and there are still a lot of them in gaming rigs today. The 2700k is still a capable CPU for gaming. Nvidia released the Fermi refresh cards in 2011 around the same time the Sandy Bridge CPUs were released. Nvidia just ended driver support for those Fermi cards. Basically, they are as extinct as the dinosaurs yet Sandy Bridge is still kicking.

In my opinion, a good balanced gaming rig would be to pair a 8400 with a 1060 (or 580 as the prices have dropped). This will allow you to game at 1080p at high settings in AAA games. For a budget system, I would pair a 8100 with a 1050ti. If you paired a 8400 with a 1050ti, it would run better in games that were CPU heavy, but there would be little to no difference in games that would not.

In short, I would not pair a midrange CPU with a budget GPU. It will work better in CPU heavy titles, but you will have diminishing returns in titles that lean harder on the GPU.

Solution

The display can be a bottleneck too. You can have 2 1080Ti's and a 8700K with 128GB of 4000Mhz RAM but if you're on a 1080p 60Hz panel you're not gonna see the 5000 frames you're getting.

But it doesn't matter if you're system is running 72 FPS or 1 million you're still seeing 60.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yep, doesnt make it a "bottleneck" though.

Kinda does because it's restricting the capabilities of the system.