Can SSD formated in W7 be used in W8?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Specifically, I'm concerned with the TRIM version which isn't the same in Windows 8 as it is in Windows 7. I really don't have a good understanding about how Trim operates. I assume the drive and its partitions and data would be recognized, but is W8 smart enough to start using the new version of Trim? Or is Trim setup during formatting in such a way that it would have to stay using W7 version or be somehow hindered because it was originally formatted with W7?

Solution

larkspur

Distinguished
TRIM is a function of the current running operating system. So if you boot up and are using Windows 8, then Windows 8 will do the TRIM function on any supported SSDs that are connected. What it sounds like is that you already have a computer with Win 8 installed and you want to take an older SSD from a Win 7 machine and add it to your Win 8 machine to have another volume. That should be no problem and trim will still work on the drive running under windows 8.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013

Almost. Actually, I only now have W7 and I'm slowing putting together a new build watching for good hardware deals and waiting to see if bitcoin price madness subsides. I'd like to format my new SSD with W7 even though I plan to use it with a future W8 build. I'll leave one partition for the OS and one or two others for storage, easier organization, and backup images, etc. I could even transfer data to these drives to have ready. Movies, MP3s, etc. Of course this would all be for naught if I had to reformat under W8 and re-transfer all the data. Of course for the OS partition, I'll clean format and install W8. Does this sound like it would work?

With the two partitions it supposed to work no problem and should. Will warn you though there is no guarantee as Windows is often a pain and doesn't always do what it is supposed to so don't do it with data you can't replace.

Solution

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
LOL, well with THAT caveat, it completely reverses your previous comment and makes the whole effort a pointless one. I'm sure glad I asked a follow up question. That said, I fully give you credit for the solution and appreciate your final answer and advice. I'll still go ahead and format them on W7 just to make sure they work as it might be a few weeks before I get the build together. Even so, I'll be re-formatting them from scratch when I get W8 as it would be the only way to get peace of mind.

Thanks for your help!