Question Can SSDs run for 24/7?

Wing901

Commendable
May 2, 2022
I have a computer running 24/7 except mantenance. After replacing the mechanical HD bootdrive with a SSD, the system crashed over a period of time(8 to 12 days). I needed to reinstall Windows 10. I replaced it with another SSD but the outcomes are the same.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a computer running 24/7 except mantenance. After replacing the mechanical HD bootdrive with a SSD, the system crashed over a period of time(8 to 12 days). I needed to reinstall Windows 10. I replaced it with another SSD but the outcomes are the same.
Sure. SSDs are warranted for 1000s of power on hours. I would look elsewhere for your culprit.
What OS ?
What is your hardware configuration, include power supply and cooling.

USAFRet

Titan
My house systems are SSD only.

My current main system has been running 24/7, except for short vacations and maintenance reboots, since Oct 2022.
6x SSDs.

The previous system (7x SSD) ran 24/7 for 5-6 years.
Some of those drives have carried over into the current system.

Your problem lies elsewhere.

Reactions: CountMike

Wolfshadw

Titan

It's been a few years since I built this system. Aside from the occasional power outage and reboots due to system updates, it's been on 24/7. Never ran into any issues that you're describing.

-Wolf sends

Wing901

Commendable
May 2, 2022
Sure. SSDs are warranted for 1000s of power on hours. I would look elsewhere for your culprit.
What OS ?
What is your hardware configuration, include power supply and cooling.
It has nothing to do with hardware configuration because no problems have been occurred before replacing the mechanical HD with the SSDs as boot drive. Since I replaced back with a mechanical HD, everything seems to be OK.

Windows 10 pro
16G ddr3 RAM
Phenom II X6 1090T
SSD(boot drive) now replacing back with a mechanical one.
Enterprise Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB HD

Last edited:

Wing901

Commendable
May 2, 2022
My house systems are SSD only.

My current main system has been running 24/7, except for short vacations and maintenance reboots, since Oct 2022.
6x SSDs.

The previous system (7x SSD) ran 24/7 for 5-6 years.
Some of those drives have carried over into the current system.

Your problem lies elsewhere.
I don't think the problem is with hardware.

Wing901

Commendable
May 2, 2022
Either the SSDs you're using are bad, the cables that connect them are bad or there's a hardware incompatibility. My SNB era server box ran 24/7 for 6 years straight on a Samsung 850 Pro.
The 2 SSDs I used are sata Enterprise grade Toshiba MLC and Consumer grade Neo Forza TLC. Both encountered the same problem. Anyway, I put back the mechanical HD, everyhing is back to normal now.

Next time, I will test my x99 motherboard to see if the m2 SSD can run 24/7 without any problems.

The 2 SSDs I used are sata Enterprise grade Toshiba MLC and Consumer grade Neo Forza TLC. Both encountered the same problem. Anyway, I put back the mechanical HD, everyhing is back to normal now.

Next time, I will test my x99 motherboard to see if the m2 SSD can run 24/7 without any problems.
As opposite of HDDs, SSDs use next to nothing power at idle, not reading or writing, practically only control chip is under power, storage chips are not powered. HDDs power spindle/motor and heads which can gradually wear them down. SSDs are rated by number of writes (TBW) not on time which is mostly indefinite.

Ralston18

Titan
@Wing901

Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that may have been captured just before or at the time of the crashes when the SSDs were installed.

When the mechanical HDDs were replaced did you use the exact same cables, connectivity, etc.?

What connectivity is being used? HDD and SSD?

Did the SSDs come with or is there any related "disk health" or "disk management" tools installed for the SSDs?

TRENDING THREADS