Can static electricity damage my ssd, gpu & fans?

jamalbayar

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Whenever I touch my pic, I get shocked. Then I found out my socket is ungrounded, my pc restarted twice because of that. Now I've unplugged my pc until I get my socket grounded. so now what worries me is that, has my computer received any minor damages or anything? one thing I've noticed is that my fans being loud, but that's just me, I might be overreacting, I'm being paranoid.

Solution
Yes, static can damage components. Get your socket grounded. When touching anything in the computer make sure that you always have one hand on the case and that the case is plugged into a grounded outlet. You could alternately purchase an anti-static bracelet and attach that to the case instead.
Yes, static can damage components. Get your socket grounded. When touching anything in the computer make sure that you always have one hand on the case and that the case is plugged into a grounded outlet. You could alternately purchase an anti-static bracelet and attach that to the case instead.

Solution

jamalbayar

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Yes, I just found out that static can damage components, what I'd like to know now is that, has my pic received any kind of minor damage or anything because my socket being ungrounded? Because my pc restarted twice in 1 week.

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Well there's no picture to show anything

But unless you touched the components directly there should be no issue the shock should have gone through the case and in to the floor rather then through any components

It's possible that the PC restarting is related to Static Damage but there's really not way to tell directly. There are plenty of other issues that could cause a PC to restart that you'd have to prove aren't the cause first. One question, did the PC randomly restart shortly after you touched anything inside the case?

jamalbayar

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

I think so, maybe, the next time it restarted when I moved the extension cord, the extension cord buzzed and then the pc restarted, I have a gigabyte z170 Xp ultra durable motherboard.

You can buy computer cables without the ground prong or simply rip it off. There are plenty of older houses that don't even have grounded outlets.

You want to avoid using an extension cord if possible. It's just introduces another possible problem. A buzz coming from the extension cord isn't something that would be cause by static damage.

What you can do right now is see if hooking the PC up directly to another outlet, without an extension cord, solves the issue. Try swapping out the power cable if that fails.

Aug 7, 2018
The buzz is most likely a bad connection in the cord or the extension. A bad connection in your extension could be the cause of random resets and may eventually kill your PC power supply. The earth in your mains wiring is designed to keep you from harm if the PC develops a fault.
If the earth is missing it is possible to mistake earth leakage current (tingling / buzzing feelings) from the PC power supply for static discharges.
Quality manufacturers take time to protect their products from the effects of static electricity. I recently spent a interesting couple of days trying to zap some prototype electronics with 15kV from an ESD gun. If you keep the lid on the case, static damage is vary vary rare.