[SOLVED] Can the computer start with a bad CPU?

Nov 20, 2018
Hello, I just bought an e5-2643 v2 to replace my e5-2670. When I have the new CPU in, the computer hangs on postcode 00 . This is listed as an ACPI S State, for entering S0 state, standard. After switching motherboard jumpers, the computer made a high pitch clicking sound while still hanging on 00, though this went away after putting the jumper back.

Solution

Yes it can if the areas of the CPU used in start-up and early operation isn't defective, but once it tries to exercise those circuits that are defective it will lock up or otherwise fail.

Another way it fails is when the CPU is thermally damaged as once it gets too hot it is no longer stable as it was when it was nice and cool at initial startup. When that occurs could be only in...

Yes it can if the areas of the CPU used in start-up and early operation isn't defective, but once it tries to exercise those circuits that are defective it will lock up or otherwise fail.

Another way it fails is when the CPU is thermally damaged as once it gets too hot it is no longer stable as it was when it was nice and cool at initial startup. When that occurs could be only in the middle of a game...or just a little bit later in the boot process.

Solution