[SOLVED] Can the Crosshair VI Hero handle DDR4 3600 memory?

Solution
Ehh, you'll probably want an X470 board.

The X370 Hero in previous tests has shown that it doesn't really like high speed RAM. It runs a T-topology layout, designed to overclock 4 DIMMs well. But suffers when only running 2 DIMMs. I would say the max guaranteed overclock for that motherboard (assuming the CPU can do it aswell) would be 3466mhz. However you might be able to get 3600 to work okay, but don't think it'll run that guaranteed. Especially with how immature the BIOS updates are for 3rd gen ryzen right now.
Ehh, you'll probably want an X470 board.

The X370 Hero in previous tests has shown that it doesn't really like high speed RAM. It runs a T-topology layout, designed to overclock 4 DIMMs well. But suffers when only running 2 DIMMs. I would say the max guaranteed overclock for that motherboard (assuming the CPU can do it aswell) would be 3466mhz. However you might be able to get 3600 to work okay, but don't think it'll run that guaranteed. Especially with how immature the BIOS updates are for 3rd gen ryzen right now.

Solution

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
I just returned a 16GB G.Skill 3600 C16 memory kit because my CrossHair Hero VII (X470) could not handle it at the 16-16-16-36 timing and 3600 MHz. The best I could do was 3333 MHz with this timing and the result was not impressive at all when compared to my Corsair 3000 MHz C16 kit ( I have a 3700x cpu by the way).

I checked on Asus website and the G.Skill 3600 MHz was not on the list of supported ram, so it's not a big surprise that I could not run the default XMP profile.

So I guess you will be able to run the 3600 MHz with your Hero VI but certainly not at both full speed and timing because even my Hero VII could not do it. Anyway if you want to change your board for your 3700x go for a X570, not a X470.