[SOLVED] Can the fan header on a graphics card take a CPU fan?

Sep 20, 2020
A friend of mine has a GT 610, he doesn't use it to game very much but still he has been getting some graphical bugs lately. We found out the card is overheating up to like 100° C, even after changing thermal paste, upon further inspection it looks like the fan on it is giving up.
So we came up with a little project and with the help of a 3d printer we adapted a CPU cooler to it, it runs cool but we've been using the Chassis fan connector to run the Cooler fan on the new heatsink.

In order to free that connector we can either use a molex from the PSU or the connector for the old, smaller fan on the card itself, it would be nice since we would get PWM control. Do you think the card will be able to deliver enough power??

Solution
That card is worth 7 to 15 bux on ebay used. At that price you just try the connector on the GPU itself and if it doesn't work you just trash the card and buy a replacement on ebay.

You can get a GT 610, 710 or 730 at around the same price.

Trust me when I say that the time and effort you guys put in this project so far is greatly higher than the worth of the card. Not really worth it. In this case it's better to just buy a 10 dollars replacement and be done with it.
That card is worth 7 to 15 bux on ebay used. At that price you just try the connector on the GPU itself and if it doesn't work you just trash the card and buy a replacement on ebay.

Trust me when I say that the time and effort you guys put in this project so far is greatly higher than the worth of the card. Not really worth it. In this case it's better to just buy a 10 dollars replacement and be done with it.

Solution
Sep 20, 2020

Well yeah, it's not like we are dealing with very expensive hardware, but we are having fun, I'll try that.