[SOLVED] Can the i5 3570 handle the RX 580 2048SP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Hi, will there be a bottleneck between the i5 3570 and RX 580 2048 SP?

Are there any other GPU you can recommend?
Preferably the best GPU i5 3570 can handle without any bottleneck issues for 1080P @ low to medium settings, at least 60fps if possible.

I got a Dell Optiplex 3010 for $47.50 bucks, I was thinking if I can make it a simple budget gaming rig with a brand new AISURIX RX580 2048SP for $70.
Quick specs:
i5 3570
8GB Ram
120 gb SSD
450Watts PSU

Solution
I hate that word, bottleneck. In a pc, a bottleneck is something that slows down the flow of data, in this case, fps.

The cpu is the source of fps. With it, you get all that you can get, whatever that number of fps might be. The number will be decided by the game code and available other resources such as hdd or ssd use, fast or slow ram, not enough ram etc. Being the source, it's not going to slow anything else after it, it'll put out as many fps as it can, and thats all.

The gpu is all about eye-candy. As detail complexity and resolution goes up, fps goes down. If you have a gpu that's more capable of higher fps, the point at which fps drops off is higher, so instead of max fps at just low settings, you could hit high settings and...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Dell Optiplex 3010
450Watts PSU

Look what power cables the PSU has and if it does have PCI-E 6/8-pin connector or not.

My guess is, that it doesn't have a PCI-E power connector. <- IF this is true, you can not put any GPU that is more powerful than 75W into your system. This also includes the RX 580, which is 185W GPU, will need a PCI-E power connector from PSU and is better off when using 650W PSU.

Without PCI-E power connector, best what you can put in your system is GTX 1650. And even then, you need to be careful on GPU selection, since some GTX 1650 GPUs need 6-pin PCI-E power connector (e.g like MSI Gaming version), while others don't (e.g like Asus Phoenix single fan).

Reactions: Ahazuerus

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Look what power cables the PSU has and if it does have PCI-E 6/8-pin connector or not.

My guess is, that it doesn't have a PCI-E power connector. <- IF this is true, you can not put any GPU that is more powerful than 75W into your system. This also includes the RX 580, which is 185W GPU, will need a PCI-E power connector from PSU and is better off when using 650W PSU.

Without PCI-E power connector, best what you can put in your system is GTX 1650. And even then, you need to be careful on GPU selection, since some GTX 1650 GPUs need 6-pin PCI-E power connector (e.g like MSI Gaming version), while others don't (e.g like Asus Phoenix single fan).
Hello, thanks for the reply, I understand that my PSU needs upgrade, and I'll be doing that first, until then I won't be purchasing GPU, thanks for the heads up! Would you be able to recommend a good PSU that can help me with that RX 580?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Would you be able to recommend a good PSU that can help me with that RX 580?

Like i said, 650W PSU is enough. For good quality unit, look towards Seasonic Focus/PRIME and Corsair RM/RMi/RMx.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Btw, good quality PSU costs a fair bit. But since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC and you do not want to cheap out on a PSU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I hate that word, bottleneck. In a pc, a bottleneck is something that slows down the flow of data, in this case, fps.

The cpu is the source of fps. With it, you get all that you can get, whatever that number of fps might be. The number will be decided by the game code and available other resources such as hdd or ssd use, fast or slow ram, not enough ram etc. Being the source, it's not going to slow anything else after it, it'll put out as many fps as it can, and thats all.

The gpu is all about eye-candy. As detail complexity and resolution goes up, fps goes down. If you have a gpu that's more capable of higher fps, the point at which fps drops off is higher, so instead of max fps at just low settings, you could hit high settings and see no significant fps loss. With a less capable gpu, you might see medium settings and lose a bunch of fps.

So No, the 3570 isn't going to 'bottleneck' the Rx580, what you'll get is a lower amount of fps from an older cpu with (now) low IPC and only 4 cores/4 threads, which is going to further take a hit from modern games wanting to use 6+ threads. It means in many games, if not most, you'll most definitely need to actually chose a custom setting, not the default 'High/Ultra', and only use Graphical settings that high, but Cpu settings drop to low/med in order to get maximum fps from the cpu.

In many mmorpg type games, there's the floating damage numbers, often green for damage done, red for damage received. Those are highly cpu bound and can kill fps. Stuff like that, lighting after affects, shadows, bloom etc will kill fps. Coming from the cpu, not from the gpu.

So tailoring your settings per game will be very important, if you want to maintain higher fps, while still having a good game experience and a great picture.

Solution

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019

The gpu is all about eye-candy. As detail complexity and resolution goes up, fps goes down. If you have a gpu that's more capable of higher fps, the point at which fps drops off is higher, so instead of max fps at just low settings, you could hit high settings and see no significant fps loss. With a less capable gpu, you might see medium settings and lose a bunch of fps.

So No, the 3570 isn't going to 'bottleneck' the Rx580, what you'll get is a lower amount of fps from an older cpu with (now) low IPC and only 4 cores/4 threads, which is going to further take a hit from modern games wanting to use 6+ threads. It means in many games, if not most, you'll most definitely need to actually chose a custom setting, not the default 'High/Ultra', and only use Graphical settings that high, but Cpu settings drop to low/med in order to get maximum fps from the cpu.

In many mmorpg type games, there's the floating damage numbers, often green for damage done, red for damage received. Those are highly cpu bound and can kill fps. Stuff like that, lighting after affects, shadows, bloom etc will kill fps. Coming from the cpu, not from the gpu.

So tailoring your settings per game will be very important, if you want to maintain higher fps, while still having a good game experience and a great picture.
I understand, it's best to tweak and select custom configuration for each game. Thanks for this !

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I understand, it's best to tweak and select custom configuration for each game. Thanks for this !
Yep, always unless you have a pc capable of setting on Ultra and still have playable fps high enough to make the user happy. 😁

That's usually how ppl go about it too, set Ultra and then test with one setting at a time and see if there's a sizable fps gain. There's 2 thingd to adjust settings, one is the in-game features, like bloom or floating damage markers or nameplates etc, the other being the actual graphics settings.

Can take a minute to dial in, but between those 2 you'll end up with a picture you can live with and game settings/extras you can live without.

Like in CSGO, I can live without scoping someone and seeing the hair sticking to a pimple, or in 1st person seeing every minor detail of the stitching on my gloves....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.