[SOLVED] Can this old computer run windows 11?

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Motherboard: Intel D946GZIS
CPU: Intel Pentium D 915
GPU: Nvidia 210 Silent (silent=no cooler)
HDD: 240 GB + 240 GB
RAM: 4GB
PSU: Unknown
Mouse: Varr Combo 2 (won it on a website)
Keyboard: Lenovo semi-gaming (not rgb)
Speakers: Unknown
Network: TP-Link Archer T4U
Monitor: Philips 170S

Drivers Installed:
TP-Link Network driver (official)
Motherboard
Graphic Card (nvidia panel + nvidia experience panel)
Monitor

This PC can run windows 10 pro 64 bit latest updates without lags and it can run minecraft at 30 fps (latest versions on low settings on a big map)
This is not my main pc but i use it for retro gaming,word and powerpoint,etc,Not for gaming.

Can it run windows 11?

There's no definitive answer at this point in time since W11 is still in development. So I'm tempted to say, based on my personal experience with an H97 4770S build, yes, it will RUN. Theoretically any 64 bit build that can RUN W10 will RUN W11. The issue is the INSTALL process. We need to be clear that these are 2 separate issues. If Microsoft releases 2 separate versions of W11 with 2 separate installers, e.g. one for OEM builds without TPM etc., and you can get your hands on a valid OEM ISO, then yes, you could possibly do a fresh install on your old build. But we just won't know until W11 is finalized and we see how the distribution of OEM ISOs is handled. Later, after all that dust settles, there may be various INSTALL workarounds, which they don't like to discuss here. In the end, you won't know until you try it.

OK, the only old build I could find here is an i7-920 cpu on an EVGA X58 mb. Takes a while to load since all I had was an old Seagate 2TB HDD. But W11 loads and runs fine as far as the basic built in functions. I don't have any games to load or play, so you'll have to figure that part out yourself. But as far as surfing the web or email, W11 on a 12 year old build is fine for that.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
According to Microsoft's current compatability list, no that computer won't work.

However...

There have been some that have gotten W11 to work on systems as old as the Core 2 Duo from around 2008. That would put 13 year-old computers on the unofficial list of "can run W11".

However, those kinds of W11 installs are only possible with unofficial workarounds at this point. We don't know what all Microsoft will officially support or if workarounds will still work after official builds are released.

Solution. Don't worry yet. There will probably be very little to zero reason to put W11 on an older computer for the next 4 years. That should give you plenty of time to either find out that yes, it can be installed on your computer or plenty of time to save up for a sweet W11 computer.

Ralston18

Titan
Microsoft is also working on:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck

Note ---- > "COMING SOON"

Which, in my mind, means that they are still deciding on or otherwise determining the specific hardware requirements.

And all in all likely to change thereafter anyway.

So is a computer that fails to meet the Windows 11 requirements now considered "unhealthy"? :unsure:

Last edited: