Question Can too much thermal paste on cpu cause pc shutdown?

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Recently I bought new thermal paste for my cpu and added too much and I was wondering can it cause pc shutdown ?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How much it "too much"? Very unlikely, in isolation. A conductive paste, applied to the point of 'oozing' out and onto the board could cause a short, but it's pretty unlikely unless you put the entire tube of paste on.

Please post your full system specs, any other changes you made & what you were doing when the system shuts down.

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
I would expect if there was too much it would simply squeeze out the sides. If you used a conductive paste, I guess this could potentially cause a short / shutdown somewhere.

Hopefully somebody with more experience can provide a complete answer.

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
How much it "too much"? Very unlikely, in isolation. A conductive paste, applied to the point of 'oozing' out and onto the board could cause a short, but it's pretty unlikely unless you put the entire tube of paste on.

Please post your full system specs, any other changes you made & what you were doing when the system shuts down.
Ryzen 5 2400g
Rx 580 8gb
asus b450m-a micro atx
650 w psu cooler master mwe gold
8gb ram

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silve...&keywords=thermal+paste&qid=1610645334&sr=8-6

this is the thermal paste I bought and also I sent the psu for a rma because I thought that was the issue causing my pc to shutdown

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

rx 580 8gb
ryzen 5 2400g
asus b450m-a micro atx
650 w cooler master psu mwe gold
8gb ram

sent psu for rma 2 weeks ago because I thought it was the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silve...&keywords=thermal+paste&qid=1610645334&sr=8-6

this is the thermal paste

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AS5 is not electrically conductive.... So unless you've applied thermal paste to the point the cooler is not making any notable contact & it's overheating (and that would take a lot of paste - probably more than available in a single tube), the thermal paste is unlikely to have caused any issue

What are you doing at the point of shutdown? You have integrated graphics, so if you remove the GPU and run with those to troubleshoot.... does the issue persist?

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
AS5 is not electrically conductive.... So unless you've applied thermal paste to the point the cooler is not making any notable contact & it's overheating (and that would take a lot of paste - probably more than available in a single tube), the thermal paste is unlikely to have caused any issue

What are you doing at the point of shutdown? You have integrated graphics, so if you remove the GPU and run with those to troubleshoot.... does the issue persist?

I tried removing my gpu and the same thing kept happeing after I close a game my pc shuts off or either while im playing it or when i'm idle in the windows homescreen and also after it shuts off I can't turn back the pc unless I flip the power switch behind the psu on and off.