[SOLVED] Can underclocking GPU cause monitor error/failure like purple/green/blue/black pixels over the whole monitor?

Dec 18, 2021
Hello, I need a help with a issue with my monitor. Sometimes when I am simply browsing through the internet, or playing some games, my monitor randomly changes all colors to like purple/green etc... for 5-15 seconds, then it comes back to normal colors. I had this issue mostly while playing League Of Legends, but I had it like 3-5 times while watching Twitch too. I have this issue for like a month now and its getting more and more annoying, so I found that like 1 month ago I underclocked my GPU because I read somewhere it causes less electricity bill.
I underclocked it from:
1070MHz core clock to 1040MHz core clock
1400MHz memory clock to 1350MHz core clock

PS : Replacing cabel for monitor did not help, When I have plugged DVI blue/purple/red/black pixels appears over my whole screens, its like some cursed filter. When i plug HDMI my monitor just turns OFF for 10 secs then comes back ON.
Motherboard temperature around 40-60c max when playing League Of Legends and watching Twitch in background / listening to Youtube songs. Also I tried to clean my monitor air vents and it did not helped at all.

My average temperatures, so overheating is not the issue I think.
GPU temperature around 45-53C max when playing League Of Legends
CPU temperature around 60C when playing League Of Legends
Its propably not GPU issue, because when I stress tested it to its maximum GPU reached 64C and did not glitch.

Monitor -> BENQ V2400W LCD MONITOR
Motherboard -> MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MSI)
GPU -> Sapphire R9 270 DUAL-X 2GB GDDR5 WITH BOOST & OC
CPU -> AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

Solution
You probably want to think very seriously about replacing that power supply. That SPECIFIC model is known for somewhat catastrophic failures when it dies, on occasion, and that one is already past the age where a good many of them either die or begin having problems because they were built using cheap caps and not the greatest build quality internally. I know of multiple people just among the active members and moderators on this forum that have had that exact power supply completely take out their motherboard or other hardware due to failed protections.

With it being that old as well, on a unit that originally had only a three year warranty, which means you are already a year or two past the point where even the manufacturer felt the...
The cost of running that graphics card is probably like five bucks a year. Put it back to the default settings, there is absolutely zero reason to underclock that card. Or any card for that matter. Wherever you heard that underclocking would make any appreciable difference on your electric bill is someplace you want to avoid visiting in the future.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply and how long has it been in service?

Dec 18, 2021
Oh okay thanks, I returned it to the default.
My PSU is Corsair CX600, and It have been in service for like 4 years max 5 years. Never had any issues with my PSU before.

You probably want to think very seriously about replacing that power supply. That SPECIFIC model is known for somewhat catastrophic failures when it dies, on occasion, and that one is already past the age where a good many of them either die or begin having problems because they were built using cheap caps and not the greatest build quality internally. I know of multiple people just among the active members and moderators on this forum that have had that exact power supply completely take out their motherboard or other hardware due to failed protections.

With it being that old as well, on a unit that originally had only a three year warranty, which means you are already a year or two past the point where even the manufacturer felt the unit was reliable enough to believe in. We actually have Jon Gerow (JonnyGuru) who runs around here on these forums fairly often, who is the chief power supply engineer for Corsair, and he'll tell you himself he wouldn't put one of those in a system that had hardware in it he valued. It is a very old platform and it is not IMO a safe or reliable one.

It could in fact be the entire reason you are having problems.

Did returning it to the default settings fix the problems you were having? If not, I'd probably go with replacing the PSU first, graphics card second, and keep in mind that an older power supply that is bombarding your hardware with high levels of ripple or out of spec voltage can certainly actually CAUSE the hardware, like your graphics card, to experience damage or failure.

In my signature below is my thread on power supply recommendations and you can also tentatively use the list at the following link as well. You'll want to stick to models that I've recommended at my thread or that are listed in the A or B tiers at this link.

Solution
Dec 18, 2021
Thanks, and it did not fixed anything, like 1 hour ago I had the cursed pixels over my monitor once again, so I guess I am going to buy new PSU.
I also tried to upgrade my graphics drivers right now, but I think youre on the point that my PSU is just dying.

Also would you have any good recommendations for my psu depending on my hardware? I tried to read your recommendations, but I did not found what type should fit my hardware. I do not know a lot about PC stuffs...

I found this PSU that I like and its suitable for my current budget -> Seasonic B12-BC-650 - 650W
Is that PSU good? Or should I find any better

Last edited:
You don't want that one. Whatever you do, don't get in a hurry and just buy some PSU without hearing back from me first. It's worth it to wait to make sure you don't waste your money.

What country are you in and what can you reasonably afford to spend on a power supply?

Keep in mind, nothing is cheap right now because of what has been going on the past two years. Covid wrecked the supply chain, there are issues with getting materials and getting things made because China has had so many lock downs and of course now we have a war going on in Ukraine. Plus a lot of other reasons as well, so when I say "realistically" I don't just mean what you can afford but also factoring in what we know it will cost for anything worthwhile. Certainly you can buy junk for cheap, but getting even a mediocre piece of hardware these days comes with the expectation that it's going to cost significantly more than it used to just two years ago.

Also keep in mind that you might STILL need to get a graphics card, but the fact is that if you DO have to get a graphics card, you SURE AS HELL don't want to try running it with that 4-5 year old CX600 unit and risk damage or failure of your new card.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 18, 2021
I am from Czech and my budget is around 60-90 euros ( 1500-2200czk),
Also what I found is that its most likely not the graphic card issue, because when I pressed prtsc and pasted the image of my whole monitor in imgur, I did not see any issues, and with my old graphic card when I had green pixels on my monitor and I prtsced the screen I saw the glitched pixels on the image too, but I dont know if that works like that, I am just assuming.

Last edited:
So, this is weird, but I can't actually look up any power supplies on PC Partpicker, because even though they show Czech republic they don't list any power supplies. I assume it's just because they don't have adequate info for listings in your country but also perhaps if there isn't a lot of online ordering availability that might be a factor as well.

Is there an online vendor you are able to order through or do you have to purchase from local shops?

Also, have you tried a different monitor or different monitor cable, just to be sure it isn't one of them?

Dec 18, 2021
Yes i can order through alza or czc. I usually order from czc but they dont support english language so there is internative of czc in english version where I can order from -> PC Power Supplies | Alza.cz

Also yes I tried changing cabels and it did not help. When I tried HDMI cable sometimes monitor turned black and after like 10s-20s it turned back. When I tried DVI I have the cursed colors for few seconds instead of black monitor. So cable is not issue and I didnt tried changing monitor yet, I dont have other one, maybe I can ask some of my friends if they can borrow me, but I dont know if I will be able to change monitor, I would need to to buy one i think.
Here Is how IT looks https://prnt.sc/6lFXM-8_Pq7U tried to take better photo but I was scared because I had the issue at the beggining when I turned the pc ON so I immidietly shutted it down. Also it looks way worse than yesterday it flickers way faster and sometimes white line appears at the right side of the monitor.

Sooo, I tried different monitor with VGA connector, and it worked perfectly fine,
I tried back HDMI and my monitor just went blue -> https://prnt.sc/QJgkKNXJmH2v
I tried put VGA connector on my normal monitor and it works fine.
I tried put HDMI on my borrowed monitor and it works fine so cables are likely fine.
I tried to move with the graphic card , and I tried to unplug and plug the cable in graphic card and I tried to plug DVI back to main monitor, and it works perfectly fine so maybe the graphic card cable was badly connected? Could that be a thingy? But its quite weird because on different monitor it works perfectly, and on main monitor it had issues even I didnt move with the graphic card issue. Maybe when I was plugging the cables I was moving with the graphic card and she may not fit percetly PCI or the cable from PSU was not fitting corectly. I will observe now, and if any issues occur I will immidietly let u know.

Last edited:
So it works with a different monitor using the same cables but doesn't work with the original monitor no matter what cables you use? Or it's even working with the original monitor now?

I'd still recommend getting a better power supply if you can no matter what else happens. Looking at czc I think the Seasonic G12 GC 550w unit is about the least expensive model on there that I could recommend as being worth your time and not too expensive.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021
Well I just did this, View: https://imgur.com/a/pJYAUly
because I have noticed that my graphic card pernamently goes down on right side and that might the problem because it wasnt properly connected to the PCI express slot so the motherboard might sometimes miss some data from GPU, that was propably the issue, it was quite simple issue at the end. I will try tommorow DVI cable I am pretty sure it will works. I have now VGA cable. This is how the graphic card was View: https://imgur.com/a/rM0cVb5

EDIT: Its propably the cables, VGA works, DVI started bugging AGAIN after 1 hour of using. But its really weird that both DVI and HDMI cables are broken. Seems really weird

Last edited: