can use an oem vista home key with a vista business ISO from microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodseed

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Hello all,

I have a Dell pc with vista home premium installed and i would like to do a wipe and reinstall. Problem is I don't have the oem disc. Can I use an ISO of vista business from the Microsoft volume licensing center? Please don't suggest I go get CD's from somewhere, of course this would work. Thanks in advance!

goodseed

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
I ask this because I have read several forum posts with conflicting answers on this. Some say that you can use any disc for the install and the version is determined by what cd key you use.

That would be correct in windows 7 but with VISTA there were only 4 different disks sold :

SOURCE : WIKIPEDIA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_editions )
Microsoft sells four different Vista DVDs in non-emerging markets: Retail/OEM 32-bit, Retail/OEM 64-bit, VL (Volume Licensing) 32-bit and VL 64-bit. The Retail/OEM DVD contains all editions of Windows Vista except Enterprise. The license-key purchased determines which version will get installed; the VL DVD can only install Business or Enterprise edition. Users can "unlock" the features of the Home Premium and Ultimate editions at any time by purchasing a one-time upgrade license through a Control Panel tool called Windows Anytime Upgrade. Similarly one can upgrade the Business edition to Vista Ultimate. End-users purchase such licenses from Microsoft's partners and OEMs, not directly from Microsoft.

So the RETAIL and OEM versions of 32 bit or 64 bit are interchangeable and useable to install any version of VISTA except Enterprise and the installation media will install the relevant files based on the Product Key that is entered !!

Ahh - yes that is correct then but he could download the installation files from Digital River and burn an installation disk !

Download for the VISTA install files and a tutorial on creating the bootable iso can be found HERE ( http://downloadsnfix.blogspot.com/2012/08/microsoft-windows-vista-official-iso.html ) -- the links go directly to the digital river source which is Microsofts approved digital download source.

Status
Not open for further replies.