[SOLVED] can using incompatible ram cause stuttering

Jul 25, 2021
So I have been having problems with my ram when I turn on XMP in my bios, I just now checked my compatibilities for my RAM of the Motherboard on their website and I am using ram sticks that are not compatible with it.
Would this be the cause of the issue? I don't want to waste money on buying Ram that is compatible on their website and it still being the same problem when i get it.
Please help!! Ty!

Solution
The list on their website, called the QVL (Qualified vendor list) is only a SAMPLING of what is compatible with a given motherboard. It is not an all inclusive list that you MUST choose from. But, there are also memory kits out there that simply don't work well with certain boards which is why I generally recommend that people buy either G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial memory kits because they are the only memory manufacturers with full compatibility listings for all of their memory kits by speed, timings and motherboard model. G.Skill has the memory configurator. Corsair has the Memory finder and Crucial has the Memory advisor.

What is the brand and exact model of your memory kit as well as your CPU and motherboard models too?
The list on their website, called the QVL (Qualified vendor list) is only a SAMPLING of what is compatible with a given motherboard. It is not an all inclusive list that you MUST choose from. But, there are also memory kits out there that simply don't work well with certain boards which is why I generally recommend that people buy either G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial memory kits because they are the only memory manufacturers with full compatibility listings for all of their memory kits by speed, timings and motherboard model. G.Skill has the memory configurator. Corsair has the Memory finder and Crucial has the Memory advisor.

What is the brand and exact model of your memory kit as well as your CPU and motherboard models too?

Solution
It could be the cause however not all RAM kits sold are listed on the MB QVL, they are just the ones tested and not all kits have an XMP profile for easy Overclocking. However that's the best way to select a kit that's known to work.
Your choice of RAM should be a single kit the size you need at a frequency your CPU and MB supports and chosen from the MB QVL.

If you want a recommendation for a good kit then state which brand you prefer, the size you need, desired frequency and your budget.

You pay more for higher binned OC RAM with low CL.
You need not waste your money, just ensure you can return them if they don't work.

Jul 25, 2021
It could be the cause however not all RAM kits sold are listed on the MB QVL, they are just the ones tested. However that's the best way to select a kit that's known to work.
Your choice of RAM should be a single kit the size you need at a frequency your CPU and MB supports and chosen from the MB QVL.

If you want a recommendation for a good kit then state which brand you prefer, the size you need, desired frequency and your budget.

You pay more for higher binned OC RAM with low CL.
You need not waste your money, just ensure you can return them if they don't work.
Thank you so much man, you were much help. Yes i can refund these if it does not work, then i will know if it is a problem further into the MB Or something.

chosen from the MB QVL.
And that's where we disagree.

I never buy based off the QVL. I always buy based off the memory manufacturers compatibility list, if they have one. If they don't, then I'll look at the QVL, find the specs for a suitable memory kit from the QVL and THEN go find memory that has a similar configuration with similar ranks, rows, timings, voltage and speed. Generally though I stick primarily to G.Skill, Corsair and Crucial products for this exact reason. They always offer a list of ALL their memory products that will work on a given motherboard. Other manufacturers don't generally offer this service and those three manufacturers generally have some of if not THE highest quality memory kits available anyhow.

Certainly though, the QVL is AN option, but I think it should be a secondary option unless you are able to EASILY find a memory kit on there that is readily available to you in which case then there is really no necessity to look further but since most of those kits are tested even before the motherboard is made available to consumers it is OFTEN the case that by the time consumers are looking for those kits many of them are no longer available and have been superceded by newer kits which most likely are NOT on the QVL.

So, any of these methods are valid.

Well, the fact that not one other veteran builder or enthusiast I know believes that sourcing the QVL "first" is either essential or recommended, sort of limits how subjective it is. More like a personal preference. I (And most others) prefer to find a memory kit we actually want, from a company who says "this WILL work with THAT motherboard", rather than being limited to a shortlist of options that the board manufacturer came up with after minimal testing, which in many cases aren't even available anymore.

So like I said, both ways work. I just think one way is better than the other as do most anybody you ask in this or any of the memory forums.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I look at the QVL list as a thing for small businesses. If they just want to buy to RAM that works, with required number of sticks, go with QVL. I have never, in my 20 years, cared for QVL or any other list. I find out what speed is supported and buy that speed. These days, that would be 3600 Mhz. I've never had problems I can't solve. Most of the time it just works (tm).

For instance, I have an X470 mobo. There is NO way Asus is going to test RAM that has come out in the past 2 years on that thing. Does that mean it is not compatible? No.

Reactions: Darkbreeze