Can VRAM make up for lack of system RAM?

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
My motherboard only supports up to 8gb of ram. I currently have a 7870 xt 2gb vram gpu, and I know that recent and newer games are asking for more and more system RAM. Since I cant have 16gb of RAM, will getting a gpu with say 8gb VRAM make up for the lack of system RAM that I have? I know some people say that 4gb vram should be enough for 1080p, but I know there are some unoptimized games out there that use more than that.

Solution
As far as actual RAM sticks go. I doubt you really need to upgrade past 8gb right now. I've played modded games with endless amounts of NPC and high res textures and have only seen around 4gb usage max on my 8gb. Rarely have I seen up to 6gb usage even. As far as your GPU. Yes you are lacking at 2gb, but thinking that upgrading to a 4gb card will help an unoptimized game is not sound.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

System ram can be used to supplement video ram when textures are too big or for higher resolutions, but not the other way around.

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
As far as actual RAM sticks go. I doubt you really need to upgrade past 8gb right now. I've played modded games with endless amounts of NPC and high res textures and have only seen around 4gb usage max on my 8gb. Rarely have I seen up to 6gb usage even. As far as your GPU. Yes you are lacking at 2gb, but thinking that upgrading to a 4gb card will help an unoptimized game is not sound.

Solution

markus.louw

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019

So then if there is more/enough VRAM, system RAM won't be rquired/used to supplement it, so the answer to the question is yes?