Question can windows storage spaces use a 120gb ssd to speed up a 6tb hard drive

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
if, not what would be the best option? buy a 16gb optane, get primocach (only issues i see with premo cach is i have a super fast nvme i dont want it to slow down my nvme cause the ssd is quit slower than both ram and my nvme,

im thinking windows storage spaces can use a 120gb hdd to speed up a 6tb hard drive but not sure anyone know?

USAFRet

Titan
if, not what would be the best option? buy a 16gb optane, get primocach (only issues i see with premo cach is i have a super fast nvme i dont want it to slow down my nvme cause the ssd is quit slower than both ram and my nvme,

im thinking windows storage spaces can use a 120gb hdd to speed up a 6tb hard drive but not sure anyone know?
What you're thinking of is to use a smallish SSD as a cache for a large HDD.

One word - Don't.

What is on this HDD?
Many people today with SSDs in their systems use an HDD for that data where it does not matter about the speed.

Movies, music, etc.

Intel has killed off the Optane thing:

PrimoCache simply uses part of your RAM as a cache for a drive.
Useless.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yeah, i know they killed off optane and they made it so you cant use a 120gb ssd to speed up a hard drive idk why silly if you ask me, but i know you can pick up a 16gb optane for like 10bucks and the software is compatable with it

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
games, most time games im activly playing i move over to c.drive for my nvme. the ssd is useless at 120gb but anyways i can only hold bout 3games with my 500gb nvme wich usualy is fine for me but on the rare chance im bouncing around between 4games i gotta load off hdd

The problem with using an SSD as a cache drive is the performance gains only happen for things that you will use frequently. If you load up say, Skyrim with 100 mods like once a month, you're not going to see any performance gains.

And if it is something you'll use frequently, why isn't it just on the SSD to begin with?

USAFRet

Titan
games, most time games im activly playing i move over to c.drive for my nvme. the ssd is useless at 120gb but anyways i can only hold bout 3games with my 500gb nvme wich usualy is fine for me but on the rare chance im bouncing around between 4games i gotta load off hdd
The cache thing only works with whatever data is in the cache. Things that have been previously accessed enough to end up there.
Going to a new level is new data, and will not be cached. Read at normal HDD speed.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yeah id have to agree the ram cache is uselss i know it will cach an ssd but i think it mixes stuff up with the ram and ram is way faster theres other cache programs out there not sure how they do iv read different stories fancy cache ultrcache ect

but at the end of the day i might be able to pick up a larger nvme drive for black friday since nand prices are dopping and come blackfriday should be a double win

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you have Windows and the Steam client or Origin or Uplay clients on the NVMe, then your games won't speed up at all. They'll all run at the NVMe speeds to begin with. Even if the games are physically on the HDD. They'll all run through Windows.

The only time a game will show any slowdowns, is not in the actual game play but on any waiting periods, like loading a new map. But that only happens for the first load, after that it's in ram, it's in Windows cache for the game, so runs at NVMe speeds thereafter.

Windows already uses a cache on the NVMe, there's zero gains by adding a second, and slower, Sata ssd as a cache for windows use.