News Can Wireless Gaming Mice Really Be Trusted?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

InvalidError

Titan
there is no way I can go back to wired mouse for gaming (the cable is too annoying) and this one is close to perfection.
I'd be curious to know how the cable is "so annoying" if you cannot feel any difference between wired and unplugged.

All else being equal, I doubt I'd be able to blind-test the difference between a properly setup wired mouse (cable properly anchored so it does not rub against the keyboard tray edge) and wireless other than by attempting to walk away with it. Another benefit of wired is that there is no chance that I may actually walk away with it and forget where I put it afterward :)

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
I'd be curious to know how the cable is "so annoying" if you cannot feel any difference between wired and unplugged.

I edited my comment to prevent confusion like this. What I meant was that I cannot feel any difference on the screen, the mouse response being as good wired as wireless but the Corsair mouse pad I am using has near zero friction so I can easily feel the cable especially when gaming.

InvalidError

Titan
the Corsair mouse pad I am using has near zero friction so I can easily feel the cable especially when gaming.
Heh. I don't mind friction since it helps with keeping my mouse in place when I click buttons. On both mice I've had with configurable weight, I ended up fully loading them because they moved too easily for my taste even on my relatively rough mouse pad.

Reactions: Phaaze88

JayGau

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2016
This is all about personal preferences and I can definitely understand yours very well since I use to have the same. I even didn't like the Corsair mouse pad at the beginning since I was used to feel more friction but after giving it a try for a few days it turned out that I love the freedom it gives and the fast moves it allows to do. But this is going a little out of topic. All I wanted to say is that the mouse I have performs the same either wired or wireless and since I prefer the wireless freedom it would be a shame to not enjoy it.

No matter how good wireless mice get, I'm still sticking to wired for all my primary input devices for one simple reason: never need to worry about batteries dying.

The only wireless keyboard/mice I have are mini 2-in-1 ones that I use when I want to remotely control my PC, mostly while I am streaming shows and movies on the TV connected to it.
What would be really cool is if your mouse pad doubled as a magsafe charger, and magsafe mice were made.
Idk what magsafe is outside of being the new iphone wireless charging, but maybe a constant charge wouldn't be too good.
But something along those lines doesn't sound impossible, surely!
Maybe XD

USAFRet

Titan
What would be really cool is if your mouse pad doubled as a magsafe charger, and magsafe mice were made.
Idk what magsafe is outside of being the new iphone wireless charging, but maybe a constant charge wouldn't be too good.
Maybe XD
Given that a reasonable mouse will be at least a week between charges, sometimes a month, that would be not needed.

I had a graphics pad, where the pad read the mouse location. No batteries in the mouse at all.
But then, you could only use that mouse with that pad.

Maybe XD
Logitech and I believe Razer have a system where it has a mouse pad that charges certain wireless mice models wirelessly. But the problem is a lot of high-end wireless mice have battery lives measured in hours, maybe days at best. All of the recent wireless peripherals I've gotten have battery lives measured in weeks if not months. And they all take standard AA or AAA batteries, which I've switched those to rechargables and haven't looked back.

Outside of the scroll wheel messing up, Logitech's G603 was the best wireless mouse I've used. Gaming grade, could use Bluetooth as well as Logitech's USB adapter, used AA batteries, would easily last for months on marathon mode where it acted like any other decent wireless mouse performance wise. That's my gold standard and I haven't found any suitable replacement since.

InvalidError

Titan
Magsafe is a miniature pogo-pin style cable connector that holds together using magnets. I'm guessing what you meant is inductive charging built into the mat, possibly using an NFC/RFID-style protocol for power and data.

Personally, I wouldn't be particularly thrilled about adding completely unnecessary EM radiation around my desk and bedroom, so I have net-negative interest in wireless charging.