[SOLVED] can you break a video game by having to many fps?

extreme pcgamer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
im playing GTA 4 on steam and get well over 100 fps i read other people on the internet saying it can break the physics of the game is this true? any advice should i cap the fps in this game? i dont know how to cap the fps.

Reactions: vcc98554vn
Solution
Yeah, try limit fps. Nvidia Inspector and Msi Afterburner can also limit fps.

Gta4 recently had some changes on Steam compiling DLCs into one? I haven't visited the game recently so not sure if any bugs were fixed in the process. When i played it last, i learnt running the game directly from the exe (created a shortcut) in the game's folder is better than launching from Steam, if you're doing the same.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Some games can have trouble. Rage was one where unlocked fps could crash the game in certain instances where the motion slows down for special effects.

Not sure if it'll affect GTA4's gameplay mechanics but from memory playing it, i capped fps to around 45 because the cutscenes are recorded at 30fps and looked jittery with high frame rate.

Fallout 4 and skyrim are two games that can be broken by high FPS.
Their lockpicking mechanics are tied to FPS, so if you have something over the cap all precision is lost and you just break the lock every time.

If you arent seeing any issues then dont worry.

Reactions: boju

extreme pcgamer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Fallout 4 and skyrim are two games that can be broken by high FPS.
Their lockpicking mechanics are tied to FPS, so if you have something over the cap all precision is lost and you just break the lock every time.

If you arent seeing any issues then dont worry.
thank you for the replies. well there might be an issue but i dont know if its because i dont have the game capped or locked at 30 or 60 fps or if its a bug or glitch with GTA 4. in GTA 4 when some people try to run they cant. for example if i blast my gun they get outta there car trying to run but they cant and sometimes this happens in the hospital. the majority of the people in the game can and do run when threatened and they do act like there supposed to. do you think i should i download and install rivatuner to cap my fps? im assuming its not that hard to do i just dont know if i should or not is it hard and is that a good idea? i dont really know

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, try limit fps. Nvidia Inspector and Msi Afterburner can also limit fps.

Gta4 recently had some changes on Steam compiling DLCs into one? I haven't visited the game recently so not sure if any bugs were fixed in the process. When i played it last, i learnt running the game directly from the exe (created a shortcut) in the game's folder is better than launching from Steam, if you're doing the same.

Solution

extreme pcgamer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
also not to worry but since we are talking about this what are some of the signs a video game is broke or the physics are broke would i notice it? and is something like a broking video game something that will be fixed after someone caps the fps or can somebody cause permanant damage to a video game running to many fps? sorry about all the questions and i dont notice any damage but im trying to educate myself and protect my video games.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, it's funny some of the older games you can break with high FPS. I was playing a console RPG port from about ten years ago recently and playing it above 60 FPS would speed up the arrow in menu selection so you couldn't do anything in game.

Usually, the fix is just to activate VSync.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Based on stuff I've read that's partially why the dark souls games (I think all 3, i know dark souls 3 is) are limited to 60 fps because anything higher would cause wall/ceiling/floor collision problems and you'd fall through the floor and stuff :ROFLMAO: