[SOLVED] Can you combine VGA and PCIE cables?

Oct 11, 2021
For the card i want i need 2x 8 pin PCIE power but my psu only has 1x 8+6 PCIE cable. But i do have another 8+6 VGA cable. Can I just use the 8 part from the PCIE and VGA cable on a single card?

I have a 650watt BQ 80+ from EVGA if anyone was curious

Solution
For the card i want i need 2x 8 pin PCIE power but my psu only has 1x 8+6 PCIE cable. But i do have another 8+6 VGA cable. Can I just use the 8 part from the PCIE and VGA cable on a single card?

No.

If your PSU does not have the proper connectors, you need a new PSU that does.

USAFRet

Titan

No.

If your PSU does not have the proper connectors, you need a new PSU that does.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Oct 11, 2021
What specific GPU?
What does the power supply user manual say about connections?
The GPU is going to be a 3070 or a 3070ti depending on what I can get my hands on. But from what i can tell most 3070s take 8pin2x and almost all 3070ti take 8pin 2x. But i was hoping to specifically get one of the "Vision" cards from GIGABYTE. (either 3070 or 3070ti)

My manual is buried in boxes (we recently moved) but idk if this helps but the PCIE cable is part of the built in part and the vga cable is modular (its semi modular). Also if you look up the PSU it says it has 2x 8pin PCIE cables but it clearly doesn't

You can use an 8 Pin from each cable (I fact recommended rather than using 2 connectors from 1 cable)

The fact is though, with a 3070/ti you should be replacing that psu.
Its fine for budget parts but when you're spending $800+ on a new GPU running it on a $50 psu makes little sense.

Look at a Corsair rm/x or superflower leadex 3 over seasonic units when it comes to newer rtx cards.

81ttjicrmtL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

your PSU supports two separate cables, no issues here...people above tought u gonna use some sort of adapters
if you use EVGA cables, no issue here

Oct 11, 2021
Do NOT use this PSU with a 30 series GPU.
If you can afford an expensive GPU, you can certainly afford a quality PSU.
yeah i’m planning on it i’m just looking for a card first and want to make sure i can test to make sure i have a working card so i can rma or refund it if it doesn’t work out of the box

Oct 11, 2021
You can use an 8 Pin from each cable (I fact recommended rather than using 2 connectors from 1 cable)

The fact is though, with a 3070/ti you should be replacing that psu.
Its fine for budget parts but when you're spending $800+ on a new GPU running it on a $50 psu makes little sense.

Look at a Corsair rm/x or superflower leadex 3 over seasonic units when it comes to newer rtx cards.
yeah i was planning on get an 850watt 80+gold rmx i just wanted to make sure you can combine a vga and pcie cable so i can test to make sure the card works

Oct 11, 2021
PSU first.
Then the GPU.

Buying from somewhere reputable, the possibilities of a DOA are pretty small.
yeah but i’m buying it from most likely ebay cause it’s impossible to find a card anywhere else (i’m not gonna spend 1000+ but just hoping to get lucky) and i was hoping i could just plug it in to my current pc for a bit to make sure it works and then take it out and order the rest of the parts. (i’m planning on completely redoing my pc)

USAFRet

Titan
yeah but i’m buying it from most likely ebay cause it’s impossible to find a card anywhere else (i’m not gonna spend 1000+ but just hoping to get lucky) and i was hoping i could just plug it in to my current pc for a bit to make sure it works and then take it out and order the rest of the parts. (i’m planning on completely redoing my pc)
You'll need a new PSU anyway.

Buy that first.

TRENDING THREADS