[SOLVED] Can you damage a psu by static electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactusgames14

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
I opened my psu the other day on my bed I didn’t touch it I just touched the cables and they were semi modular and now I’m paranoid that I may of damaged it and I’m a mood first time building so one question do u think I damaged it or am I just over reacting

Solution
more than likely you are being a bit paranoid :)

if the pc is still working fine, then you obviously caused no damage. while it is true that static discharge can damage sensitive parts, simply touching the cables poses very little danger. you'd have to shock a circuit board directly to have the chance of doing any real damage and that is not 100% that you would.

you more than likely touched the case while opening it and even while reaching inside which would have grounded you and prevented any discharge. so more than likely without realizing it, you did the right thing and grounded yourself before reaching into the case.

again so long as the pc is working fine, then you have not done anything to it other than opening it.

edit...

cactusgames14

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018

No I’d didn’t try it yet still waiting on the ram even though I did two day shipping but I just opened it looked at it touched the semi modular wires and put it back in the cardboard box

No you're fine. PSU are one of the least static sensitive things in your PC. You definitely aren't going to hurt it touching insulated cables.

Actually for a lot of years I used to use a plugged in PSU to ground myself to discharge static electricity as the housing is grounded and will ground the PC case once attached.

Don't sweat it, continue on and enjoy your PC.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
more than likely you are being a bit paranoid :)

if the pc is still working fine, then you obviously caused no damage. while it is true that static discharge can damage sensitive parts, simply touching the cables poses very little danger. you'd have to shock a circuit board directly to have the chance of doing any real damage and that is not 100% that you would.

you more than likely touched the case while opening it and even while reaching inside which would have grounded you and prevented any discharge. so more than likely without realizing it, you did the right thing and grounded yourself before reaching into the case.

again so long as the pc is working fine, then you have not done anything to it other than opening it.

edit: rereading i see you literally meant you touched the psu in the box. pretty much no chance you did anything to it. they are designed to handle a lot more than a bit of static and highly unlikely touching the psu would do anything at all to it.

Solution

DeRCeeb

Reputable
Nov 9, 2020
Hi

I’m also wandering , is it possible to do any damages to a power supply by plugging in the 24pin atx and 8pin cpu into a mobo with static damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.