Can you delete your own post?

GreyCatz

Distinguished
If I've made huge mistake, e.g. revealing sensitive information, is there a way to delete/undo the post?

I can't seem to find any buttons or links to this effect.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution
You're doing the header. I was talking about your opening post. But you can update either. For the header just change it to "Sorry My Mistake".

GreyCatz

Distinguished
Hey Baby...

(OK, Greetings i7Baby)
I'm going to need a little help: I click the 'Update this' button and delete the header text. I type in a full stop, but I have to enter at least 3 words. I'm doing something wrong...

The reason for all this is I came across a member whose post contained a link to a complete system file (and I do mean complete with detailed personal settings). I suggested that the poster remove the link and if possible the whole post, but then I realized I didn't know how to do that. As a test, I created a dummy post, which obviously serves no purpose and has to go.

I hope this makes sense.
GreyCatz.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

It seems to work, now I'm just waiting for the post to disappear.
Thanks, Baby.

GreyCatz.

you can edit posts in one of two ways

the quick edit icon (3rd icon at the bottom of your posts) which allows you to edit without changing screens
the full edit icon (4th icon) which takes you to the advanced editor.

your own posts can be deleted (5th icon) however mods will still be able to read anything you wrote. if personal information was listed editing your post before deleting it is best.

to change the title of your thread you just edit the first post and there will be a spot for title.

--

if a user submitted information that was too personal (address, phone number, complete real name, credit card info or other very sensitive information) then you can pm a mod to take a look. if the information is unsafe to post in an open thread we can take care of it. not so sure "settings" are really all that personal enough to warrant an issue unless it includes the above sort of information.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Thanks for your reply.
I'm new to this site and I'm still learning. I may have over-reacted in the specific case (I hope so), but it did strike me as being way too much. I wouldn't provide that kind of information myself unless explicitly requested, and I don't think you would either.

Anyway, another reason for knowing how to delete own posts is I don't want to litter this great site with redundant or irrelevant posts.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.