Question Can you fix a m.2 sdd with a scratched pin by cooking it?

Oct 5, 2023
My m.2 sdd in my Latitude 7480 is broken is probably the culprit of my laptop not turning on But there is a pretty big scratch on one of the pins on the sdd.

Is it possible to fix it by covering it aluminum foil and heating it up.

Lutfij

Titan
there is a pretty big scratch on one of the pins on the sdd.
This is where you pass on an image to illustrate the extent of the damage instead of leaving it all to interpretation of the size of the gash.

You could also contact NorthRidgeFix, if the PCB's trace/contact is what you need repairing.

Reactions: CountMike
Oct 5, 2023
there is a pretty big scratch on one of the pins on the sdd.
This is where you pass on an image to illustrate the extent of the damage instead of leaving it all to interpretation of the size of the gash.

You could also contact NorthRidgeFix, if the PCB's trace/contact is what you need repairing.
I fixed the scratch on my ssd. But my laptop wont power on, cpu making weird sounds.

My m.2 sdd in my Latitude 7480 is broken is probably the culprit of my laptop not turning on But there is a pretty big scratch on one of the pins on the sdd.

Is it possible to fix it by covering it aluminum foil and heating it up.
No. What makes you think that'll work? Pins are typically metal plated with an electrochemical process.

Also this may not be a problem, depending on if the pin isn't actually used for anything, is redundant, or the slot makes sufficient contact with the part of the pin that matters, or the scratch only affected the plating and not the actual trace underneath. And if there is not a sufficient connection, you could probably get away with a very thin application of solder.