Question Can you guys help me if this setup my friend built for me to buy is good for its price?

waffl212

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G CPU
Patriot Memory VIPER 4 Series 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 8GB Dual Channel DDR4 Kit
Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD
Seasonic S12III 450 SSR-450GB3 450W 80+ Bronze ATX12V
B450M PRO-VDH Plus

It's mainly for CSGO and it's somewhere around 280-300 USD

It is about right. Looking at pcpartpicker, it will run about $300. It is a budget system, but you could throw a GPU in there one day play modern AAA games with good settings. For CSGO will be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XDZ4KB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($28.99 @ Adorama)
Case: DIYPC DIY-BG01 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.97 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $287.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-30 11:30 EDT-0400

waffl212

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
It is about right. Looking at pcpartpicker, it will run about $300. It is a budget system, but you could throw a GPU in there one day play modern AAA games with good settings. For CSGO will be fine.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XDZ4KB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($28.99 @ Adorama)
Case: DIYPC DIY-BG01 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.97 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $287.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-30 11:30 EDT-0400

Thanks dude. Bit of a stranger when it comes to actually building PCs so I figured I'd ask around too.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I guess the only thing to consider is the S12III was good enough some years ago, not really anymore.
If you plan on upgrading to a dedicated graphics card later, you may want to consider swapping. But for what you have there, perfectly fine.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
While more expensive, I agree with @PC Tailor , go with a Seasonic FOCUS power supply.

How strictly do you have to stay on that $300 limit? The storage is very minimal in terms of how much capacity is involved. However, going to a bigger SSD is going to increase the price. Maybe going with a standard HDD instead would be worthwhile, since you get more storage per dollar? The tradeoff, of course, is speed.

waffl212

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
While more expensive, I agree with @PC Tailor , go with a Seasonic FOCUS power supply.

How strictly do you have to stay on that $300 limit? The storage is very minimal in terms of how much capacity is involved. However, going to a bigger SSD is going to increase the price. Maybe going with a standard HDD instead would be worthwhile, since you get more storage per dollar? The tradeoff, of course, is speed.

Can you give me a quick ELI5 on the power supply part? I have minimum knowledge with specs itself but absolutely zero when it comes to how powersupply works within the build. Might consider your suggestion though since it is a small price bump.

waffl212

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
I guess the only thing to consider is the S12III was good enough some years ago, not really anymore.
If you plan on upgrading to a dedicated graphics card later, you may want to consider swapping. But for what you have there, perfectly fine.

I plan on getting a graphics card later on depending, what GPU can be compared with this CPU's integrated graphics?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Can you give me a quick ELI5 on the power supply part? I have minimum knowledge with specs itself but absolutely zero when it comes to how powersupply works within the build. Might consider your suggestion though since it is a small price bump.

It basically boils down to while 80+ Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc., are about efficiency, they have nothing to do with quality.

Some brands are lousy quality, some are good quality, some are so-so.

Within brands, some are good, and some are bad.

Seasonic is generally good - and the S12II was good for its day, not sure about the S12III. However, they are older designs, and while I don't really understand the details of the guts, I'm given to understand that the FOCUS and PRIME models are more modern, and better able to cope with the way modern PCs draw power (I know it has something to do with group regulation and dc-to-dc conversion, but honestly, that's something I don't personally understand and rely on the experts to tell me).

HOWEVER - above all, the PSU is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your system. That contributes to longevity. A high quality PSU will deliver clean, stable power to your PC, whereas a low quality one will not. A low quality one can fail, and take out your PC's components with it. Really bad ones have been known to cause fires.

Another key is to be able to deliver most/all of its rated power on the 12V rail. It's usually measured in amps.

So, for example, if a 480W PSU says it can deliver 39 or 40 amps on the 12V rail, that's 468 or 480 watts (watts = amps x volts). If it says it can, for example, deliver only 28 amps, that's 334W, that's an immediate red flag. It probably makes up the rest of the power on the 3.3V and 5V rails, which, while they are necessary, are minimally used in modern PCs. The 12V rail does the heavy lifting, and should be able to provide most/all of the power that the whole supply is rated for.

Ultimately, though, there are people and websites that, through analysis have examined and rigorously tested numerous power supplies. They're the reason I know what bits that I do.

TL;DR: it's like setting up your PC to play "Russian roulette" - with a high quality unit, you're assuring there are ZERO bullets in the gun. The lower the quality of the PSU, the more bullets there are in the cylinder.