Can you guys recommend me a mobo with these 'requirements'?

ehcastro3

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hi guys...

I want to ask for your recommendations on a motherboard which is:

1.) costs about $110 MAX
2.) supports SLI
3.) (if possible recommend me another mobo but this time supports Crossfire)
4.) supports Intel processors (preferably 8200 quad, but I've heard that there are no SLI boards that support quads at a $110 price range, so please tell me if its true)
5.) about 6-12 months old from release, so that I can check at the reviews of the said mobo online.

If you have time in answering this, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart in advance! :)

(PS I come from a backward country, I cannot order online here...this is another reason why I want a motherboard which was released about a year ago so that my supplier might know someone who sells it....)

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Based on your statement you are from another country I would assume you would probably not have access to any Asrock motherboards or want an open box from Newegg since they are about a 50/50 chance of working when open box.

My suggestion is simple: buy a board your supplier can get you a decent price on that has the options you want!

In my experience the price of the motherboard does not increase the performance but just adds a little more options. If you want SLI and are running an 8400 or faster LGA775 than buy a G31(w/video) or P31(wout/video) or better and it will work fine. I suggest running a P43/P45 board which should run around $100us. Also make sure and read reviews on Newegg.com before buying any motheboard just to make sure there isnt any know problems before you buy it.

Also for running SLI or Crossfire with video cards rated above GTX260 or ATI 4870 will require a faster processor in order to get more performance. Although I do not recommend running any SLI or Crossfire since you are better served buying one faster card and saving money on the massive power supply you will need to run them.

Good Luck!

ehcastro3

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
thanks for the inputs...

well i plan on getting the quad 8200 and the video card im going to get is a 1gb inno3d gtx250...

and billj, my supplier can get Asrock mobos...and if i do SLI wont a quad 8200 handle it?

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
My recomendation is to go with an Asrock P45 board and Core 2 Duo E8400 to E8600 "Wolfdale" processor which is a dual core but performs faster than a Quad core in games and only costs about $10 more, it also will perform better in SLI mode than a Q8400.

And yes you can search Newegg advance search for PCI Express 16X for 2 slot boards only if thats what you want.

The Q8400 cpu will run a single GTX250 just fine but if you add another the CPU might not be able to squeeze the performance, you can read articles on this from Toms Graphics vs CPU tests. Also you can check the graphics charts for the games you play and determine which GPU will perform the best and at what resolutions.

Good Luck.