Can you have a look at my planned PC build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PrupleLobster

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

is this what you were talking about? https://www.pccasegear.com/products/31294/edimax-ac1200-dual-band-pci-e-adapter
I think it's good.

about win 10 I heard that it gives out your internet password to people and use my computers internet to download software to other peoples computers and stuff. I know I can turn all the privacy settings to what I want, but I'm just not sure if I can trust Microsoft in this one.

also my friend said that I should use a 4gig VRAM card instead because he said "most games don't even use 4 gig VRAM". if that's the case should I change my card to a r9 380X or something similar? I would like to make my computer future proof for a while and I would hate it to get a card that won't last me at least 2 years maybe 4?

https://www.pccasegear.com/wish_lists/563695

Crow-M

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

to 4GB VRAM - you not specified your screen resolution (monitor) and also what type of gamer you are, if "hardcore" & obsessed with graphic or such a casual (play all types games but because of story/fun/etc. not graphic) or CS:GO, LoL, DOTA and so on (3rd type = yes go for lower card).
For 1080p (1920x1080 scrn res.) is r9 390X overkill for now, yes of course. But why to buy something "slower" nowdays (if hardcore/casual) when there is a new GPU generation around the corner and 144Hz gaming monitors standard or rising 4K and you have money for it. R9 390X is really more futureproof and can be sold for decent price even 2-5 years from now. In case of GPU, if you do not want/plan to change it every 1-2 year, always buy the best you can.
Or you can be like me and play waiting game for new flagships GPUs with some low-end card like 950... :) and see if something valuable come or just price of R9 390X / gtx 980Ti drop down

to win10 - no you can NOT trust Microsoft just like you can not google, apple and so on. It is not about passwords or something like that. It's about personal informations about you for "marketing purpose", collecting info about you, installed soft, hardware... shortly. Of course thing with forced updates and fact that win10 is not really on "your HDD" but more virtual if understand. And also think about one thing, why they give it for free at first ? Coz they love us ? Find answer yourself. But I am not that much sceptical how it looks like. For a regular pc user is not a great deal what is going on. But try to ask someone who is with "both legs in pc world" if curious about that and do what YOU WANT. I am sticking with W7 for at least 1 year...
And ast but not least, IMO, never use MC soft as fresh new because of bugs and bullshit. Wait for it. Take your time and especially grant it to MS :))

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Yes that's what i referred to.:) Looks good to me too.

Where did you get that from? With W7 you probably will get the offer for a free upgrade to W10,which is quit a pushy thing.If the symbol for it appears in the system tray is it just a matter of time before windows will upgrade itself no matter what you want.I've seen that with my W8 going to W8.1 and was about to see that happen to my 8.1 going to W10.If you don't act will it happen.The only way to stop it is to take owner ship of the file/folder the update tool is in and remove the whole folder.

There are diferent tutorials about how to "take ownership" in windows this is one,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
but it makes use of a registry hack and requires to download a file i'm not familiar with,that's why i didn't use it.Other options are available as well,but require more steps to get it done.

Don't know why your friend says that.It's not true.Yes you can do with 4gb of Vram,but these r9 390X gpu's just happen to have 8gb,no big deal.If in time wanting to play on 4K would it maybe be a benefit to have the larger amount of Vram.
The card you're asking about now is just not as good as the 390X.Could you make do with a r9 390 (no X) probably,that would maybe be a better choice looking at price differences and the just small gap between the gpu's in performance from what i see.
You could get a gtx 970 for even less and that would perform roughly about the same as the r9 390 depending on the games you play.Look at some reviews about the r9 390 to compare for yourself.One already.

Talking about price differences,if you would use an i5 6500+the EVGA B2+the Seagate Barracuda 1tb i linked could you probably add a nice ssd to that build.Using the r9 390 (or gtx 970 or this one) would add to that as well extra to spend money as well.In that case could you maybe keep the EVGA G2 or the I5 6600,just do some math yourself.

PrupleLobster

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

as for my resolution I would like to get an 1080p 60fps experience.
as for the typs of games I would like to play I guess "Hardcore" would be right..
as for why I wan't to get a new GPU now is because there's a game I would like to play now, and my current computer wont run it. however getting a new desktop PC was always a plan.
as for my OS I think I will stick to a win 7 until I find out exactly whats going on.

Crow-M

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
than (and from the beginning :D ) do what u think is best for u ;)
1080p 60fps is not too demanding even for Hardcore gaming on Ultra with mid-range gpu like 380x

Like i set:
1. U can always sell R9 390X and buy card from a new architecture
2. Have money for it = buy it
3. R9 390X is more futureproof (e.g. for new games, new monitor)

If you want to enjoy 390x, buy 390x if u can afford it. Just like someone want to buy & enjoy Aston Martin istead of VW.

Only up to you :)

Crow-M

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

I think, only what to do is uninstall win update (KB3035583) that is causing that tray banner (in case I understood you correctly)
-> here it is summarized <-

PrupleLobster

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
alright every one thank you for your time. I think I decided on my final build https://www.pccasegear.com/wish_lists/563695
as for an SSD I will use the one that I am already using for my laptop .
for the operating system I will be using the windows 7 until I find out what exactly is going on with the 10.

thank you very much for your time! :)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

There's more to it.It's not just an icon in the system tray,it's a program that will slowly push the option to upgrade forward up to a point where it will download the upgrade itself and ask if you want it installed right then or after a few hours.
If you let it be it will start after those few hours,i've been there with 8->8.1 and i was surprised that i had no true say in it.It came also close with windows 10,but i did as i said and took ownership of the folder where this resides and deleted it since i like W8.1 So the upgrade is not just a choice,microsoft will slowly push it onto you if you let it be.

Forgot about that one,you mentioned it,well it happens. ;)

Build looks good.You really like the case? Since you have some money over from the original budget maybe look abit further at some cases.Me myself would spend that at something like this,
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34176/phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-acrylic-window-edition
or this,
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34580/phanteks-eclipse-p400-window-anthracite-grey (more colors available)
not my taste but something else,
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32023/nanoxia-deep-silence-4-claw-black-red-case
but,like with the gpu as mentioned,is that's up to you.

Crow-M

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
case is good IMO (material, space, fans, 40cm GPU lenght)

Don't forget about CPU cooler, stock one is not ideal.
Try Noctua (more expesive but really silent, for locked (not K) cpu overpriced) or CM one this or this

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If he wants some extra cooling for the cpu would this one be fine and good quality,
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33459/cryorig-m9i-cpu-cooler

Looked at the latest build again.Since you already own an ssd isn't it necessary to add one,or the new one must be larger.
I would keep to the wifi card with the movable antenna,it can be placed there where you get the best signal.Sometimes even just a few centimeters can help.
Again,if you like your choice of case just go for it. ;)

PrupleLobster

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
I think I will stick with the case I have. it's cheap and it works with great reviews on the internet.
I will be getting this cooler https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33459/cryorig-m9i-cpu-cooler I looks at some of the review and it looks good and cheap.

I think I will be ordering this computer today. thank you every one for your time and help!

edit: also it doesn't really matter what internet connection I get. I only get 6.5mbps anyways. Australian internet speed.