[SOLVED] Can you help me with overclocking my AMD FX 6300?

ZedSuo

Prominent
May 2, 2020
I've had fx 6300 for 5 years, and I'm finally going to buy a new pc in around 6 months, but I want to try and overclock fx 6300 from it's base 3.5GHz, to just 4.0GHz so I can play 1 game with less lag in these 6 months.
I've never overclocked before but I've somewhat read about it, and I heard that I don't need to increase my voltage for 4.0Ghz, and can just increase the multiplier. Is that true? And also, I've seen that my clock goes to 4.1GHz under load but I've read it's only on 1 core, so will boosting all 6 cores to 4.0GHz be better? I honestly don't know what my voltage is set to in bios, but HWmonitor shows that VCORE goes up to 1.416 while playing games, and it's 0.879 when doing nothing, so I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
If you need it my specs are:
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Motherboard: gigabyte 970A-UD3P
and ram, I don't know

Solution
I've had fx 6300 for 5 years, and I'm finally going to buy a new pc in around 6 months, but I want to try and overclock fx 6300 from it's base 3.5GHz, to just 4.0GHz so I can play 1 game with less lag in these 6 months.
I've never overclocked before but I've somewhat read about it, and I heard that I don't need to increase my voltage for 4.0Ghz, and can just increase the multiplier. Is that true? And also, I've seen that my clock goes to 4.1GHz under load but I've read it's only on 1 core, so will boosting all 6 cores to 4.0GHz be better? I honestly don't know what my voltage is set to in bios, but HWmonitor shows that VCORE goes up to 1.416 while playing games, and it's 0.879 when doing nothing, so I'm not sure if that's normal or...
I've never overclocked before but I've somewhat read about it, and I heard that I don't need to increase my voltage for 4.0Ghz, and can just increase the multiplier. Is that true? And also, I've seen that my clock goes to 4.1GHz under load but I've read it's only on 1 core, so will boosting all 6 cores to 4.0GHz be better? I honestly don't know what my voltage is set to in bios, but HWmonitor shows that VCORE goes up to 1.416 while playing games, and it's 0.879 when doing nothing, so I'm not sure if that's normal or not.
If you need it my specs are:
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Motherboard: gigabyte 970A-UD3P
and ram, I don't know

FX-6300 turbo's to 3.8Ghz max when stock. Not sure how you're seeing 4.1Ghz but yes all-core 4.0Ghz will be better since the CPU's doing it all the time, all cores, not just for a very brief moment when it can turbo.

If voltage is on AUTO or changed with an offset adjustment it will vary with CPU loading, especially when parts are idled by the OS.

4.0Ghz is very mild overclock, and 1.416V not really pushing it either.

FX6300's (Vishera) guidelines are for VCore limits of 1.55V at 70C core temps but going that far will require very good cooling on the CPU.

Overclocking at it's essence is pretty simple as you take one of two strategies: 1)find the lowest voltage it remains stable at a desired clock with temperatures that are tolerable or2) find the highest clock at the maximum voltage you wish to operate and be stable, also with temperatures that are tolerable.

The art comes with keeping it stable at lowest voltage by tweaking with LLC settings. But if not pushing for maximum clocks (upwards of 4.8-4.9Ghz) that may not be an issue.

Reactions: ZedSuo
Solution

ZedSuo

Prominent
May 2, 2020
FX-6300 turbo's to 3.8Ghz max when stock. Not sure how you're seeing 4.1Ghz but yes all-core 4.0Ghz will be better since the CPU's doing it all the time, all cores, not just for a very brief moment when it can turbo.

If voltage is on AUTO or changed with an offset adjustment it will vary with CPU loading, especially when parts are idled by the OS.

4.0Ghz is very mild overclock, and 1.416V not really pushing it yet.

FX6300's (Vishera) guidelines are for VCore limits of 1.55V at 70C core temps but going that far will require very good cooling on the CPU.

Overclocking at it's essence is pretty simple as you take one of two strategies: 1)find the lowest voltage it remains stable at a desired clock with temperatures that are tolerable or2) find the highest clock at the maximum voltage you wish to operate and be stable, also with temperatures that are tolerable.

The art comes with keeping it stable at lowest voltage by tweaking with LLC settings. But if not pushing for maximum clocks (upwards of 4.8-4.9Ghz) that may not be an issue.

Thank you for your replay, you explained it really well, so I think I will try it.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Increasing clocks will require an increase of voltage. It's like a car. If you want to increase top speed, you can't use the same amount of fuel to feed the engine. It just ain't happening. More work, more energy needed.
Hopefully you have a good enough Power Supply for the extra watts required.

This should be a decent guide:
View: https://youtu.be/YdUrVHSmV6I?t=274

He is off with the temps: FX-6300 max temp 70 C https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-6300
The processor he has, max temp 61 C.
I would also recommend using OCCT for stability testing. It's free, just have to wait 10 secs before you can click to start the test. I've only ever run it for 5-10 mins. That is enough for me. If OCCT stops, you are unstable. Prime95 is another option. If workers stop, it's unstable OC.
I hope you have anything better than a stock cooler.

Last edited:

ZedSuo

Prominent
May 2, 2020
Increasing clocks will require an increase of voltage. It's like a car. If you want to increase top speed, you can't use the same amount of fuel to feed the engine. It just ain't happening. More work, more energy needed.
Hopefully you have a good enough Power Supply for the extra watts required.

This should be a decent guide:
View: https://youtu.be/YdUrVHSmV6I?t=274

He is off with the temps: FX-6300 max temp 70 C https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-6300
The processor he has, max temp 61 C.
I would also recommend using OCCT for stability testing. It's free, just have to wait 10 secs before you can click to start the test. I've only ever run it for 5-10 mins. That is enough for me. If OCCT stops, you are unstable. Prime95 is another option. If workers stop, it's unstable OC.
I hope you have anything better than a stock cooler.
Thanks for the replay and a video, but i have a question. Can i just leave the voltage as is and let the pc regulate it, or is it better the set it manually?