[SOLVED] Can you help me with this budget build ? Will it work well for a workstation pc (no gaming at all) ?

Solution
What brand is that power supply? That's concerning to me.

Another thing: Ryzen 7 1700? Better than an i7-8700 or 8700K in terms of price (I didn't say price-to-performance, I said PRICE), but budget? Jeez, man, get something like a 2400G and spend the extra money on something like a Corsair, EVGA, or Seasonic power supply.

You could probably get away with something like an R5 1600. 6 cores, 12 threads. Personally, I'd say the 2400G would work as a workstation, but the stuff you're DOING might be too much for just 8 threads. But you might be able to get away with it. If you decide to go with the R5 2400G (4c/8t @ 3.6GHz), you'd need a B450/X470 board if you don't want to have to update the BIOS.

Use AT LEAST DDR4-3000 memory with...

Lutfij

Titan
Ryzen build, pick out DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit. I would not get that GPU. You would also need to mention the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age if you're carrying over from an older build. When you mention workstation, what sort of workloads/apps will you be running? Please do that last question justice and not include etc.

Dec 3, 2018

This is my PSU, In my country (Colombia) is a recent model:
combo-chasis-caja-iceberg-gear-v3-fuente-ventilador-120-D_NQ_NP_713680-MCO26987781475_032018-F.jpg

The workstation will be running mathematical models implemented in some programming languages: C++, Python and Matlab. I plan to use it as a headless system, that is, I'll leave the models running as standalone processes and then I'll just remotely access to collect and review numerical results.

woahwoahwilly

Honorable
Jan 18, 2018
What brand is that power supply? That's concerning to me.

Another thing: Ryzen 7 1700? Better than an i7-8700 or 8700K in terms of price (I didn't say price-to-performance, I said PRICE), but budget? Jeez, man, get something like a 2400G and spend the extra money on something like a Corsair, EVGA, or Seasonic power supply.

You could probably get away with something like an R5 1600. 6 cores, 12 threads. Personally, I'd say the 2400G would work as a workstation, but the stuff you're DOING might be too much for just 8 threads. But you might be able to get away with it. If you decide to go with the R5 2400G (4c/8t @ 3.6GHz), you'd need a B450/X470 board if you don't want to have to update the BIOS.

Use AT LEAST DDR4-3000 memory with Ryzen. 3200 is better for a workstation. 16GB of RAM is fine, just it needs to be faster.

If you haven't decided on storage yet, I'd say a 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 SSD would probably be enough for the needs, but if you want a hard drive, a WD Black 1Tb would suit the work perfectly too.

With the 2400G you won't need a video card, but you WILL need a motherboard that has video ports (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.).

Solution