[SOLVED] Can you make a new bios chip?

Nov 14, 2021
i have a motherboard that doesn't have a bios chip due to me accidentally breaking it due to curiosity , i can't solder because i don't have tools or any know how and i don't have any connections. i was wondering if i could just buy a cheap programmer and an ic chip meant for motherboards. i don't know much about intergrated circuits and how some things work so any insight is appreciated

Solution
i forgot to mention that my bios chip is indeed socketed and i meant i broke the legs of the chip itself

Since it is socketed it shouldn't be too hard. Identify the replacement chip and get an inexpensive CH341a BIOS burner that you can attach to your laptop or other computer. Something like....

https://www.newegg.com/p/2A7-00D0-00073?Description=bios burner&cm_re=bios_burner--9SIAAZM4GP2956--Product&quicklink=true

That's for a 24 25 series BIOS EPROM commonly used on PC's but if your device is different you may have to search for one that's compatible. The little green circuit board is for you to solder on gull-wing SMT devices but your socketed device should use the socket on the main part.

I've never done it...
i forgot to mention that my bios chip is indeed socketed and i meant i broke the legs of the chip itself
There are markings on it, just google them. They are not all same but many are physically and electrically compatible and could be (re)programmed or you could contact MB's manufacturer for direct replacement.
PS. There are special tools for safely removing and inserting chips, not too expensive.

Since it is socketed it shouldn't be too hard. Identify the replacement chip and get an inexpensive CH341a BIOS burner that you can attach to your laptop or other computer. Something like....

https://www.newegg.com/p/2A7-00D0-00073?Description=bios burner&cm_re=bios_burner--9SIAAZM4GP2956--Product&quicklink=true

That's for a 24 25 series BIOS EPROM commonly used on PC's but if your device is different you may have to search for one that's compatible. The little green circuit board is for you to solder on gull-wing SMT devices but your socketed device should use the socket on the main part.

I've never done it myself but have read of several successes. At that price though, you can't really go wrong.

Last edited:
Solution

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

The main issue with attempting to program a BIOS chip is getting the software. Stock flashes from Phoenix or AMI are not that hard to get, it's the versions that are heavily modified by board manufacturers that are hard to come by. I have had this issue myself a few times and the only route that solved the problem was by buying a dead board on eBay because neither the modified software nor chip was available.

Before you purchase anything you need to do the following.

1. Look for a preprogrammed chip, older boards you can find these dirty cheap.
  2. If you can't find a chip then attempt to locate the software, you will need to find out if it's a stock flash or modified.