Question Can you Plastic dip an open frame atx power supply without breaking it?

reaper89971

Prominent
Jun 2, 2023
Well i am going to build a computer or pc inside of a fat playstation 2. I can fit a flex atx power supply inside the case but i have to have it be open framed. It will have to sit right above a graphics card very close to it. So i was wondering if i could rubber coat the graphics card and rubber coat the power supply board without braeking it.

So can you plastic dip a power supply like you would a motherboard? Would if work still? Would the rubber act like shielding to my components?

Do any of you know were i could buy shielding instead of the rubber coating if it would not work. Just need some shielding in between components?

Im talking millimeters apart from each other.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Conformal coating has application requirements, and I don't know if you could achieve a decent uniformity. Kapton tape is safer. It comes in various thicknesses and really you are just covering the high points on the back of the GPU.

I've seen plastidip hardware before, just seems messy and pointless. I don't know how much protection it offers, it peals off pretty easily.

Kapton tape is used in electronics for this very application, when you have close quarters and two circuits could potentially touch. As long as you can keep the PSU and GPU from rubbing, it should be fine. But if they are going to be in direct contact, then you could maybe make a sheet of plastidip if you have that available to wedge inbetween. Inner tube, I can list off an endless number of insulating things that would be suitable.

TRENDING THREADS