Can you plug a 3-pin into the 4 pin rgb header?

May 26, 2018
Hello, I am a bit new to pc building so I'm not sure how this works.
Basically, I got a deepcool 120mm rgb fan to put at the back of the computer. Attached to the fan are: 1 4-pin which I pluged in (to control to spinning of the fans I guess) but also 1 3-pin which I assume it's to control the RGB lighting.
On my motherboard (ASUS ROG Z370-E) there is a rgb header which is empty but it has 4 pins. Is there any chance that I will be able to connect the fan to that even though its 3-pin?

Thanks

Solution
See your mobo manual on p. 1-21 regarding the THREE-pin Addressable RGB Header - it is BESIDE one of the 4-pin ones. THIS is the header to use with the Deep Cool CF120 fans. I don't know if it is that exact fan you have, but I suspect that is what Deep Cool may have used on several of their RGB fans.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
See your mobo manual on p. 1-21 regarding the THREE-pin Addressable RGB Header - it is BESIDE one of the 4-pin ones. THIS is the header to use with the Deep Cool CF120 fans. I don't know if it is that exact fan you have, but I suspect that is what Deep Cool may have used on several of their RGB fans.

Solution
Dec 22, 2018

I just bought the Thermaltake View 32 and several other RGB components that all appeared to have addressable RGB based on the advertising and packaging, and was pretty disappointed when I started trying to sort how to sync the RGB lighting and found out I couldn't. I thought I'd done my homework before I chose my components, but really didn't understand the role RGB controller(s) and motherboard may play in the equation. Thus, tying to educate myself about the differences between RGB 12v 4-pin non-addressable and RGB 5v 3-pin addressable, as well use of controllers and motherboard headers/software, I ran across this on Youtube. Absolutely the most straightforward explanation of the differences between 3-pin/4-pin RGB and how to avoid buying incompatible components that use proprietary controllers/software. Really informative for anyone who may have put together a few computers and is wanting to do his/her first RGB build: https://youtu.be/zu9mikz9zpQ

Reactions: SOlidwire

TRENDING THREADS