[SOLVED] Can you recommend a good PSU for a 3070 Ti (EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 Ultra Gaming)?

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello, guys;

My GPU died on me exactly one year ago, and I am finally replacing it.

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming
Memory: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital WDC (SATA )
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Fried)
PSU: EVGA 850 G2 80 Plus Gold
Case: NZXT H440

Since my current PSU is over 7 years old, I think it may have contributed to the death of my GPU.

Right now I can only afford the GPU that I just bought and a solid PSU.

I know the rest of my rig is pretty outdated and there is going to be a significant bottleneck, but right now I can't possibly spend any more money.

Can you recommend a a good PSU for my build?

My budget is between 200 and 250 American dollars.

I do plan on upgrading the rest of my rig later this year. Perhaps a 12600K or a 5800X. I am still not sure.

I hope you can share some of your wisdom with me, guys.

I want to thank you in advance.

Sincerely;

Paul

Solution
A question first - have you connected your GPU correctly?

For that GPU - you should have 2x COMPLETELY SEPARATE Power Cables going into the GPU... not one cable, not one cable with two ends (Y Split cable)! This isn't as widely known as it should be.

See image here

And it matters where you plug it into on the PSU as well - kind of like how it matters where you plug in 2x RAM DIMMS when you have 4 slots available.

This is what it said in my PSU's manual....

Please make sure you balance the load across the 12 volt rails 12V3 und 12V4:
■ When using two PCIe cables, connect PCIe 1 and PCIe 3
■ When you only need one PCIe cable, connect PCIe 2

Make sure you use the cables that came with your PSU - not old ones from...

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
A question first - have you connected your GPU correctly?

For that GPU - you should have 2x COMPLETELY SEPARATE Power Cables going into the GPU... not one cable, not one cable with two ends (Y Split cable)! This isn't as widely known as it should be.

See image here

And it matters where you plug it into on the PSU as well - kind of like how it matters where you plug in 2x RAM DIMMS when you have 4 slots available.

This is what it said in my PSU's manual....

Please make sure you balance the load across the 12 volt rails 12V3 und 12V4:
■ When using two PCIe cables, connect PCIe 1 and PCIe 3
■ When you only need one PCIe cable, connect PCIe 2

Make sure you use the cables that came with your PSU - not old ones from something else... put them away in a box.

Dude - If you've got the money stick to 1000 watts minimum.

I got Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 - but they have other models.

They make ultra quiet products, I also got the Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler (better or as good as Noctua or Water Cooling without the hassle or risk), as well as Be Quiet Fans and Case (Silent Base 802 highly acclaimed for thermals and sound etc).

And there service is fantastic and fast.

Don't forget a CyberpowerUPS - they get a bit more expensive with that kind power of hungry GPU and system than back in the day...
But if you think about how much your PC cost all up - it's worth that extra insurance for all that hardware - as well as all your data!

Gold is very good - Platinum if you have money to burn for no reason... the difference between the two these days is negligible.
Whatever you get check where it comes on the list - you want Tier 1 if you can afford it.

Fully Modular, or at least Semi Modular will save you a lot of hassle and make it easier for cable management and have less junk clogging up your air flow in your case.
PSU Hierarchy (Mar. 2022) - Power Supply Unit List (gamingscan.com)

Don't forget you want to keep an extra chunk of wattage unaccounted for because you will always add stuff later via USB or extra internal storage or PCIE cards, Audio Interface, Beefy Speaker System, loads of PC related crap with flashing RGB etc that will need more power. Everyone forgets that!

It sounds like you are defnitely going to want to upgrade sooner or later and the 12th gen with more ram etc will take a need a lot more power so I really recommend the 1000w Now - to save you having to uprade to yet another PSU later.

Better to spend more on making sure you've got good clean power for that hungry gpu now, and wait a little longer if needed to get the rest.

I do plan on upgrading the rest of my rig later this year. Perhaps a 12600K or a 5800X. I am still not sure.

Depends on what you want to do with it?
For most things I would stick to Intel as they are dominant in so many types of industries and that means that most software is written specifically for Intel - they dominate in that respect.

AMD id def on the rise again - but they are still the minority in that respect.

Plus NVIDIA has RTX, DLSS and so many other advantages - as well as the fact that in the very same way - more games are written for NVIDIA not AMD.

People will argue about that - but it's still a fact for now at least.

Last edited:
Solution