[SOLVED] Can you run two 12gb (4+8) "sets" in dual channel?

Aug 2, 2020
I've got an old corsair veng 2x4gb 2666mhz set that's been in my computer for ages now. Currently, it's running in dual channel mode, so each channel has a 4gb stick in it.
I'm wondering if, when i upgrade, i could get a 2x8gb radeon kit and put it in so that both channels have a 4 and an 8 stick in them. Will that still enable dual channel stuff?

Other than dual channel, i think they should be compatible. Timings for corsair being 16-18-18-35, and 16-16-16-36 for the radeon kit.

It's just that the 2x8 set is of such a great value it would kill me if i had to go for a 2x4. Can provide more specs if requested.

Solution
Buy the 2 x 8gb kit.
You will then have a guaranteed 16gb in dual channel mode.
When you add in a second disparate kit, it is perhaps 90% likely to work.
If it does, the 12gb on each channel will be operating in dual channel mode.
Speed, voltage and timings will match the least capable of the two kits.
Not a biggie.
Take the time to confirm proper operation by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

What about the other 10% ??
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The...
Aug 2, 2020
What motherboard do you have?

The motherboard's User Guide/Manual should specify supported RAM configurations and will also most likely refer you back to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information. Read the notes and fine print.

That said, the following link should prove helpful:

https://techguided.com/single-channel-vs-dual-channel-vs-quad-channel/
It's a gigabyte Z270x-ud3. The manual doesnt really tell you much except to put the 2 modules into alterating slots if you got 2, and to put 4... into all the slots.

I understand that it doesn't make That much of a difference, but i mostly don't even game, i work in blender, so i'd want that fast ram.

Ralston18

Titan
The memory will perform at the level of the slowest RAM.

However, if the RAM modules are not installed as they should be, you could end up with even slower performance.

Check performance as is - i.e., establish a baseline.

Then install the RAM per the User Guide. Check the performance again.

There may not be much difference in performance - you just do not want performance to go down.

Aug 2, 2020
The memory will perform at the level of the slowest RAM.

However, if the RAM modules are not installed as they should be, you could end up with even slower performance.

Check performance as is - i.e., establish a baseline.

Then install the RAM per the User Guide. Check the performance again.

There may not be much difference in performance - you just do not want performance to go down.
I understand about the slowest ram bottleneck - not a problem, read my post, the sticks are pretty much the same, and the new one - probably better.

I'm only asking if it's at all conceivable to be able to run my ram in dual channel mode, in a way where each channel has 12gigs of mixed sticks.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm only asking if it's at all conceivable to be able to run my ram in dual channel mode, in a way where each channel has 12gigs of mixed sticks.
Mixing RAM may not work at all.

Buy the 2x8GB
Put only those in, in the relevant channel slots.
System runs great with 16GB.

Then you add 2x4GB.
Does it still run? Does it run well? If so...24GB.
If not, you have 16GB.

Ralston18

Titan
It is conceivable. Give it a try as you envision installing the RAM modules.

If it works as hoped then good.

If not, then check the motherboard's User Manual for other possible configurations that apply to the motherboard version you have.

Aug 2, 2020
Mixing RAM may not work at all.

Buy the 2x8GB
Put only those in, in the relevant channel slots.
System runs great with 16GB.

Then you add 2x4GB.
Does it still run? Does it run well? If so...24GB.
If not, you have 16GB.
alright, i guess i'll be trying that. Will probably end up trying to exchange the 2x8 for a 2x4 in case it doesn't work to save the 15 bucks though.

Buy the 2 x 8gb kit.
You will then have a guaranteed 16gb in dual channel mode.
When you add in a second disparate kit, it is perhaps 90% likely to work.
If it does, the 12gb on each channel will be operating in dual channel mode.
Speed, voltage and timings will match the least capable of the two kits.
Not a biggie.
Take the time to confirm proper operation by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

What about the other 10% ??
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Solution
Aug 2, 2020
A cat with 3 legs looks pretty similar to a cat with 4 legs.
I just dont really see that much of a difference between different ram kits. Specs are specs, they must adhere to those and perform within them, and if they do, what is to keep them from running alongside sticks with the same specs? (Timings beside cas Are different, but i thought that doesnt play much of a role? and is changeable?)

Either way, i've swapped around tons of ddr2 sticks between my old laptops, never once have they been from a kit, and its highly unlikely they had similar specs, but it always performed just fine, i guess.

USAFRet

Titan
Is it likely to work?
Yes.

Yet every day, we see people here where it does not.

RAM bought 6 months ago may have come from a different factory than RAM bought today.
Same brand, model line.
There may be a QA tolerance of +-5% on freq and timings.
Factory A may output X -1%/+3%
Factory B may output X -4%/+1%

All within specs, right?
The RAM you currently have from Factory A might be at that +3% level, and the RAM you buy today might be at the -2% level.
All still within spec.
Your motherboard might not accept that difference. A different motherboard of the exact same make/model might work just great.

Again....
Is it likely to work?
Yes.
But not a guarantee.

Aug 2, 2020
Is it likely to work?
Yes.

Yet every day, we see people here where it does not.

RAM bought 6 months ago may have come from a different factory than RAM bought today.
Same brand, model line.
There may be a QA tolerance of +-5% on freq and timings.
Factory A may output X -1%/+3%
Factory B may output X -4%/+1%

All within specs, right?
The RAM you currently have from Factory A might be at that +3% level, and the RAM you buy today might be at the -2% level.
All still within spec.
Your motherboard might not accept that difference. A different motherboard of the exact same make/model might work just great.

Again....
Is it likely to work?
Yes.
But not a guarantee.
Welp, sounds good to me!
Conceivable =/= a guarantee ;-)