Discussion Can you test how well heatsink is thermallly bonded to CPU?

homebuilt

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Despite having water cooling (corsair hydro H50), the core temp rises beyond 70 C when I run prime95. I suspect I may have used too little thermal paste, but is there a way to tell for sure? Otherwise I'd just be re-attaching the heatsink and wondering if I'm doing it correctly. I'm not even overclocking.

Is there an utility that can run a CPU test, measure the core temp, and then compare it with other users' data? So I can see if my setup is working as expected, and whether I need to get a bigger water cooler.

i7-4790K @ 4Ghz

It's an old rig but I only started to use it to run more intensive job (video processing) so I have renewed interest in keeping it cool. The video card gets hot as well but that's another topic.

No real way to run a program to check temps that way.
The only true way to check for proper thermal paste application is to take it off and look how well your application method worked, then repeat it as accurately as possible.

Im not surprised at those temps with an H50, it performs no better than budget air coolers like the 212 EVO or H7.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No real way to run a program to check temps that way.
The only true way to check for proper thermal paste application is to take it off and look how well your application method worked, then repeat it as accurately as possible.

Im not surprised at those temps with an H50, it performs no better than budget air coolers like the 212 EVO or H7.

Agree.

Not sure why a single 120mm AIO would be expected to perform well on an overclocked i7 4790.