[SOLVED] Can you use different antennas for a dual band wlan card?

Jul 21, 2019
I have two plans to setup a long distance wifi, but not sure whether would they work or not.

The first one would look like this:

hLQpJvH.png

And this is the second one:

cJnstZb.png

I really want to utilize alfa antennas and a 5ghz amplifier I already have with the parabolic antenna that I will buy for this setup.

Will either of these setups work? Or would they both fail killing the wlan card because of impedance mismatch?

Solution
The cost of quality microwave cable is going to kill the project. You will lose more than you gain from the antenna many times.

All kinds of issues

Most amplifiers are illegal, Your card likely puts out close to the legal power. So either the amplifier is legal and it does not put out more than your current card or it is not a FCC certified devices (ie illegal). Since it was never certified you have no idea what power it puts out, no independent origination tests it. Most this are direct ship from china. Quality microwave amplifiers are extremely expensive to make.

Antenna on most cards now run mimo. That means it uses both antenna to increase the speed of a single connection. To use external antenna you must have 2...
The cost of quality microwave cable is going to kill the project. You will lose more than you gain from the antenna many times.

All kinds of issues

Most amplifiers are illegal, Your card likely puts out close to the legal power. So either the amplifier is legal and it does not put out more than your current card or it is not a FCC certified devices (ie illegal). Since it was never certified you have no idea what power it puts out, no independent origination tests it. Most this are direct ship from china. Quality microwave amplifiers are extremely expensive to make.

Antenna on most cards now run mimo. That means it uses both antenna to increase the speed of a single connection. To use external antenna you must have 2 actual antenna on both end mount 180 degrees off axis.
If you connect the antenna to different things it will run as a single feed rather than run mimo.

Pretty much this is a waste effort.

Just buy a outdoor bridge from a company like ubiqutii. The cost of just a antenna is about the same as a complete bridge and you still have to buy microwave cable. The modern method puts the electronics in the antenna enclosure and uses ethernet to power the device and take the signal inside to your machine.

Depends on exactly what you are doing ubiquti has a large line of equipment designed to go long distances. The cheapest ones are nanostatnion loco you can get for about $50.

In any case just putting a antenna/bridge on one end of the connection does not work when you are going long distance you need direction equipment on both ends.

Solution