Question Cannot access external HDD but it turns on and still spins etc ?

May 29, 2023
Hi, my external HDD is not accessible on my windows computer but is still turning on, i feel it gets warm as it should. It still makes noises, and still shows up in my task bar to eject. Windows also makes its normal sounds when plugging it in or removing the drive.
Makes no scratching noises or grinding.

I had tried to plug it into a usb hub that is connected to my monitors usb port. This usb hub is a little finicky and can disconnect. So I am not sure if that causes this.

The drive despite this doesn't show up so I can access it.
it appears in hardrive management as Unknown and shows the drives size but nothing else.
Shows no drive letter
Harddrive management says "you must initialize disk before can access it"
then gives error data error cyclic redundancy check

Seagate SRD00F1 Backup Plus Slim ST100LM035

System-
Windows 10 home edition
32GB RAM
1060 6GB GPU
Ryzen 5 1600 processor
B350 tomahawk tomahawk
Evga gold + 750 w power supply
2 TB Seagate internal Harddrive

Have tried:
  • Different cord
  • Plugging it in to another SATA to usb
  • Plugging it in directly through SATA to PC
  • Tried both restarting and shutting down Windows
  • Tried SFC/scannow says it couldn't fix some files and nothing else. Tried restore health also, rebooted after. still nothing.
I have not tried data recovery

Last edited:
May 29, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

= = = =

External HDD.

This product?

Seagate Slim

If possible try connecting the HDD via an independently powered USB hub and not rely only on the USB port power provided by the host computer (desktop/laptop).

I have updated my original post

I could try that, i did try a independently powered Sata to usb I had from another external Harddrive.

I have this usb hub (not independently powered) that I had connected it to. This hub is a bit finicky sometimes disconnects or has issues, so that could have caused the issue but I am not sure.

The light on the hdds case wouldn't turn on but the independently powered sata to usb did.

Some things I need off the drive, so i am trying whatever i can find that won't potentially cause more issues.

Ralston18

Titan
If a drive suddenly loses power without the proper system shutdown process there is a very good chance that there will be loss of data.

Unfortunately anything that is done could cause further loss of function and data.

Not sure about the details - have you tried USB ports other than on the monitor?

Make the USB connection as simply as possible: PC [USB Port] --- USB Drive.

Or with an independently powered and known working (not "finicky") USB hub in between.

May 29, 2023
If a drive suddenly loses power without the proper system shutdown process there is a very good chance that there will be loss of data.

Unfortunately anything that is done could cause further loss of function and data.

Not sure about the details - have you tried USB ports other than on the monitor?

Make the USB connection as simply as possible: PC [USB Port] --- USB Drive.

Or with an independently powered and known working (not "finicky") USB hub in between.

Right, I have tried that yes. Both directly to my monitors usb hubs and to my computers multiple different ports.

Would any data recovery software be worth a try? From all I've been reading it seems like the only ones worth a darn are professional paid ones.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Windows File Recovery is a possibility.

You might be able to get to some files via Linux or Powershell or other tools.

Many tools focus on recovering accidently deleted files - not corrupted files/data/drives.

Depends on what is actually wrong with the drive: physical versus corrupted.

However, overall, I will have to defer to those with knowledge of data recovery software and techniques.

DSzymborski

Titan
Right, I have tried that yes. Both directly to my monitors usb hubs and to my computers multiple different ports.

Would any data recovery software be worth a try? From all I've been reading it seems like the only ones worth a darn are professional paid ones.

If the data is important, it's worth a try. Note, however, that software is the dirt-cheap recovery solution, not the expensive one. If this data is important, you may need a proper lab to recover it, and at that point, you need to be prepared to spend four figures and up in many cases.

The unfortunate truth is that data that only exists in one place will inevitably exist in zero places. The only time to reliably conserve your important files is to properly back up those files so you don't lose them in the first place.

May 29, 2023
If the data is important, it's worth a try. Note, however, that software is the dirt-cheap recovery solution, not the expensive one. If this data is important, you may need a proper lab to recover it, and at that point, you need to be prepared to spend four figures and up in many cases.

The unfortunate truth is that data that only exists in one place will inevitably exist in zero places. The only time to reliably conserve your important files is to properly back up those files so you don't lose them in the first place.

Right, some more important things were backed up on another external device.

I typically do a good job of making sure everything I care about is atleast on two devices. But due to life, I simply wasn't able to just go buy a couple new drives, but had planned to.

I bought another drive, but will be buying another or some other external storage as soon as possible.