[SOLVED] Cannot access MSI B450M Bazooka MAX Wifi BIOS. Boots directly to Windows

Jul 11, 2021
Cannot access MSI B450M Bazooka MAX Wifi BIOS. Boots directly to Windows

System Configuration

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
Motherboard: MSI B450M Bazooka MAX Wifi
DRAM: 16 GB (2 x 8) TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3200Mhz
Keyboard: Wired USB
Mouse: Wired USB
Storage SSD: Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 TLC SSD
Storage HD: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue PC Hard Drive HDD - 7200 RPM
Power Supply: EVGA 220-G3-0650-Y1 SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W
Case: Deep Cool Matrexx 30 (No jokes about it...I know it’s a rough case.)
Monitor: Acer connected via HDMI from motherboard connector to the monitor.

I’m currently serving overseas and built the system above as a bridge system until a GTX 1650 card under warranty can be replaced or repaired in my main system. This is likely to take 30-45 days with the postal service back and forth, plus repair time.

In any event, here’s my current situation. After building the system above and plenty of hiccups throughout the build, I’ve gotten the system together and running. This is my first build with a CPU with integrated graphics, due to the craziness of graphics card prices.

I’ve currently gotten the system to run...but here’s the issue. I can no longer access the MSI motherboard’s BIOS with the system configured above. I do NOT see the MSI BIOS “Splash” screen OR the Windows 10 Splash screen prior to the system dropping me into Windows 10 where I can enter my pin and use the system.

When I spam the Delete Key (thank you MSI tech support for pointing this out to me), that seems to lock up the system on a black screen with a floating window that says, “Input not supported.”

If I hit the case reset OR Cntl-Alt-Del and then let the system churn for about 30 seconds (with a number of NUM LOCK flashes on the keyboard), the system will boot directly to Windows and I have a usable, but not configurable system.

NOTE: I have used an older NVIDIA graphics card as a troubleshooting tool and have been able to access the BIOS, but this isn’t something I’d prefer to keep installed in my system, as it isn’t crucial, except in the current situation.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS TRIED:
  1. Spamming the Delete Key as the system boots. System locks up (Input not supported).
  1. Removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes in hope of resetting the motherboard’s BIOS to the factory condition.
  1. Using a USB to PS2 adapter to try accessing the system via a PS2 keyboard connection. No difference, continues to boot directly to Windows 10. (But doesn’t recognize the USB keyboard with the adapter.)
  1. Removing the SSD boot drive from the system and “firing it up.” Does not allow me access to UEFI.
Anything I haven’t tried? I’m trying to get my hands on an ACTUAL PS2 keyboard to give that a try.

Help... Kind of at my wit’s end here.

Hi Jimmy (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

One possible issue not being able to access Bios is Fast boot.

When in Windows, go to your Control Panel.

Control Panel>Power Options>System Settings>Shutdown settings. Uncheck the box for Turn on Fast Startup then reboot.
As soon as the system starts, spam the delete key.
Hopefully you don't get a lockup.

Also: Some Motherboard manuals list certain Function keys that take you directly to your Bios. Mine is F2 however yours may be different.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021
Hi Jimmy (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

One possible issue not being able to access Bios is Fast boot.

When in Windows, go to your Control Panel.

Control Panel>Power Options>System Settings>Shutdown settings. Uncheck the box for Turn on Fast Startup then reboot.
As soon as the system starts, spam the delete key.
Hopefully you don't get a lockup.

Hmmmm...I'm not able to see that as an option.

Is there another way to check to see if "Fast Startup" is turned on or off?

Thanks for the super quick reply.... (y)

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 11, 2021
I don't understand why you don't find that option with Windows 10.
It is in Power options for sure, I'm looking at it now and it's the only way I know how apart from Bios.
Maybe someone else may know.

Nightmare...thanks for trying. I should probably just spend the time to package my ASUS GTX 1650 for return and be happy with what I have right now.

Will keep my eyes on this forum though for sure!

Have a great Sunday...and a good week.

Jul 11, 2021
Check my edited post and good luck.

Well, I think I've found a workaround that I can live with.

Apparently, the motherboard doesn't care to be connected to the monitor...while spamming the Delete Key.

While doing some troubleshooting with a pretty ancient NVIDIA Card, I started noticing some different reactions to the video inputs...and decided to give the following a try.

IF I want to get into my BIOS, this is what I'll do...

1. Turn the system off.
  2. Pull the HDMI from the monitor.
  3. Press the case power button.
  4. SPAM the DELETE KEY.
  5. Then, connect the HDMI cable to the monitor.

The BIOS Admin password prompt will be waiting for me.

Not exactly the customer experience I was hoping for, but think this is going to be a "hot spare" machine in the future after I get a real graphics card back from ASUS.

Thanks for the assist...